Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jeter makes Elway look like Bill Belichick in comparison. 

What am I missing here?    John Elway took over a franchise that had gone 4-12 and had not finished over .500 for four straight seasons.    They are 82-58 since he took over, and won a Super Bowl.   And if you want to say it was all Peyton Manning (which isn’t true anyway), who convinced Manning to come to Denver?    Elway.   

I’m not saying Elway is some Hall of Fame executive, and maybe it’s time for him to move on, but he’s hardly the guy to whom Jeter should be compared in order to denigrate his performance.   

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is there any chance that Elias has a need to use the funds that would have gone to Villar now for investment facilities, player development and international signings? I would have preferred to keep Villar, but if Elias ends up using that money into yielding multiple prospects I'm ok with it. Plus short term it's not like Villar turns the Orioles into a team that wins 81+ games. 

That's certainly possible, but why is Elias' budget so tight that the only way he can fund investing in facilities, player development and international signings is to trade every player making roughly a market salary, even though the O's were already going to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league?  

37 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

That's certainly possible, but why is Elias' budget so tight that the only way he can fund investing in facilities, player development and international signings is to trade every player making roughly a market salary, even though the O's were already going to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league?  

Compared to how most MLB teams are run, the Orioles overstretched financially in 2016, 17, and 18. So you could argue that this is just the other side of that pendulum. 

Another possibility, not dependent on the first, is that a couple years of really low payroll is the trade-off with ownership for the freedom to remake the player development system, start spending on technology, International free agents, etc. 

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

And we are immune to such criticism because of the Davis albatross?

Maybe?  The Marlins have no one besides Chen (again, released) on the roster who couldn't have been non-tendered and owed nothing for 2020.  The entire roster is pre-free agency.

The Orioles not only have Cobb and Davis, but more arb-eligible players. Or at least did before this week; we gave one to the Marlins and one to the Angels.

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Let's say the Angeloses said "You have $260M.  Out of that has to come payroll, player fringe benefits, all team expenses.  Whatever's left is your budget for rebuilding the team and getting us back to the playoffs. You get no more."

If I were Elias I'd be scheming every way possible to maximize what I could get out of that, and apply it to rebuilding.  Forbes thinks the O's ran a $6.5M deficit in 2018.  I don't necessarily believe it, but it's not like Elias has ($260 - 50M payroll) to spend on building.  I think/hope he has a productive plan for what to do with the $10M they saved on Villar, and the $5M they saved on Bundy.  And if not for those trades that plan would not be executed.

11 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

A couple of other points Pham just played his age 31 season Versus Villar's age 29. Their WAR the last 2 seasons combined Pham 6.3 vs Villar 6.7. They both had WARs below 1 win 3 seasons ago ..... I don't know anything about Steamer projections ....But they are basically the same player the past 2 years.

Three years ago Pham was worth 6.2 wins, and got a few MVP votes.  The 0.8 is part of his 2018 season split between St. Louis and Tampa.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Three years ago Pham was worth 6.2 wins, and got a few MVP votes.  The 0.8 is part of his 2018 season split between St. Louis and Tampa.

Nice catch and my mistake! I have no problem admitting that Pham is the better player and I got it wrong. Thanks for providing the correct information in you post rather than using ridicule and insults.

I still don't understand the football field between the 2 returns other than my previous assumptions about the way it happened. And I am not going to stoke that fire again.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nice catch and my mistake! I have no problem admitting that Pham is the better player and I got it wrong. Thanks for providing the correct information in you post rather than using ridicule and insults.

I still don't understand the football field between the 2 returns other than my previous assumptions about the way it happened. And I am not going to stoke that fire again.

No worries, we don't have to rehash anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

What am I missing here?    John Elway took over a franchise that had gone 4-12 and had not finished over .500 for four straight seasons.    They are 82-58 since he took over, and won a Super Bowl.   And if you want to say it was all Peyton Manning (which isn’t true anyway), who convinced Manning to come to Denver?    Elway.   

I’m not saying Elway is some Hall of Fame executive, and maybe it’s time for him to move on, but he’s hardly the guy to whom Jeter should be compared in order to denigrate his performance.   

The Broncos are going to win 10+ games next year. Love what they’re doing.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:43 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say the Angeloses said "You have $260M.  Out of that has to come payroll, player fringe benefits, all team expenses.  Whatever's left is your budget for rebuilding the team and getting us back to the playoffs. You get no more."

If I were Elias I'd be scheming every way possible to maximize what I could get out of that, and apply it to rebuilding.  Forbes thinks the O's ran a $6.5M deficit in 2018.  I don't necessarily believe it, but it's not like Elias has ($260 - 50M payroll) to spend on building.  I think/hope he has a productive plan for what to do with the $10M they saved on Villar, and the $5M they saved on Bundy.  And if not for those trades that plan would not be executed.

Given that we've only spent roughly half of our international signing slot money and the cost of infrastructure improvements are generally a one time cost not likely to come near ~$190 mil, I don't understand the need to cut to the bone.  I wouldn't sign anyone for more than a year right now, but giving away players to save marginal dollars doesn't seem necessary to the rebuild.