If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I 100% agree with this.  If you go with everything that Elias said about Villar, then the roster spot Davis is taking up could potentially prevent us from evaluating another player.  So we're potentially missing out on evaluating 3-4 players a year off the waiver wire because of Davis.  

Is the 40-man roster full?  If not Davis isn't preventing anything until opening day.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's came very close to losing out on a ~6 win season from Steve Pearce because of roster constraints, so theoretically the impact of Davis taking up a slot could be significant.

I think this is the best argument that could lead to Elias releasing him.  I don't think we're going to have a roster crunch  anytime soon, but it could cost us not being able to give players "shots".   

It does the opposite of saving money. It costs $563,500. 

Davis was a lot better last year than 2018. He actually had three productive month-long chunks of games, April 13 - May 17 (.273/.341/.506), June 21 - July 21 (.300/.357/.460), August 28 - September 28 (.222/.364/.500 although only 11 games). 

For three months he was actually a productive player, although he played like absolute garbage the rest of the season, March 28 - April 12 (.000/.132/.000), May 18 - June 19 (.093/.183/.130), July 22 - August 27 (.105/.232/.228).

If he was merely mediocre during his cold stretches rather than worse than a pitcher, he would have been at least replacement level.

My guess is that they want to give the new coaching staff one final crack at him before releasing him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It does the opposite of saving money. It costs $563,500. 

Davis was a lot better last year than 2018. He actually had three productive month-long chunks of games, April 13 - May 17 (.273/.341/.506), June 21 - July 21 (.300/.357/.460), August 28 - September 28 (.222/.364/.500 although only 11 games). 

For three months he was actually a productive player, although he played like absolute garbage the rest of the season, March 28 - April 12 (.000/.132/.000), May 18 - June 19 (.093/.183/.130), July 22 - August 27 (.105/.232/.228).

If he was merely mediocre during his cold stretches rather than worse than a pitcher, he would have been at least replacement level.

My guess is that they want to give the new coaching staff one final crack at him before releasing him.

We're just terrified that he'd get released, get really motivated, and get fixed by another team to become a usable player.  That's the only reason he's here.  His prison sentence is the O's bench for 2 more years at least.