Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There have been 55 #4 overall picks.  Kevin Gausman, Jeffrey Hammonds, and Dylan Bundy are 16th, 17th, and 18th all time in career value.  And Gausman and Bundy still might have a good bit left in their careers.

So like most draft picks they've done much better than average among their peers, and are widely thought of as disappointing.

Excellent information....thanks!! ?

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Last years team was supposed to lose more than the 2018 team. I will make a gentleman's bet that the 2020 team win total is close, within 5 games either way of the 2019 team.  Also, you assume Villar will repeat his 2018 season and Bundy will stay healthy and not regress further.  The team will be bad but there will be some nice stories and surprises. Just like this year.

Projections of 40-something wins are almost always wrong.  The Oriole team that won 47 was supposed to win 70 or 80 or something.  I think next year's team wins something like 55.

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am pretty sure Sedlock will be selected. Really I have no idea why we aren’t protecting him.

He will be coming back to us if some GM is dumb enough to pick him..what team is lousy enough to fill  a slot all year on their active roster on Cody Sedlock?  We are the worst team in baseball and even we are not projecting him to be on our lousy staff in 2020.   That is why he is not protected.  A team that takes him would be just wasting a spot for 2020. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Oh no!  I'll stick with it even if we trade Givens and Mancini.  The dinner will probably never happen based on geography.  Let's just go with one "I told you so".

What are you talking about the Library is one of my all time favorite steak restaurant groups.

• Upvote 1

Agree with RZ and Drungo above and am surprised the folks knocking next year based on two trades as a team much worse than 2019.  We will have Hays (hopefully healthy and productive all season) with a nice upside and Mountcastle.  We should have a better bullpen than in 2018.

I thought Bundy pitched much better towards the end of 2019.  The success IIRC was against weaker teams, but he seemed to be missing the center of the plate and pitching more at the ends for that success.  I think it is good that we traded him.

I like the return - top 30 Angels prospect and two pretty decent prospects who could have gone higher in the 2019 draft.  I think that Elias, like MacPhail, wants strength in numbers and also wants guys who don't have to be on the 40 man.    

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No biggie...I was just pointing it out.

I understand, and I was just clarifying. It’s all good. I was working when I got the alert that the traded been made, and my initial comment was literally written from a sense of surprise. But I had read briefly somewhere that we had to put Matson on the 40 man or he would be available in the rule five draft. Someone else subsequently said that that is not true of Matson or of any of the other guys, which eliminates a lot of my complaints( I do not know which is correct, but if he is eligible for the rule five draft, then my complaint can be reinstated.)

The only complaint that remains is the standard one that Mike is apparently prioritizing quantity over quality, and these guys were low ranked prospects in a low ranked system.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So?  They had their moments.  I can enjoy players of that caliber.  You should try it.

I do too, and whether a player is a major league quality player is certainly debatable. By some standards, We only had two or three on the team all year, but that didn’t stop us from fielding a full 25!

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I actually liked Sucre ... I thought he handled the pitchers well and really had some fire. Its a shame he's not a MLB hitter

After watching some of his on field interaction with the pitchers and some other players, I get the impression That Sucre wasn’t terribly easy to deal with.

49 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

More likely to set that record this year, with only Means likely to make 30+ starts barring injury.

I mean more in 2022 if we're trying to maximize MLB wins and routinely pulling pitchers doing fine after 12-16 batters faced like every day is Rich Hill in the World Series day.

In 2020 I look for lots of JD Martinez homering off "Orioles SP" in the middle innings.

Here's Daniel Norris's "Super Opener" game log from the end of the 2019 season - I definitely expect teams to play around with optimizing middle distance pitching more rather than less over the next couple seasons.

08.16 at TB 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.0 12 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 3
08.21 at Hou 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.0 11 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
08.29 vs Cle 1 0 1 0 0 0 3.0 12 2 1 1 1 1 0 0 4
09.03 at KC 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.0 13 4 3 3 1 2 0 0 3
09.08 at Oak 1 0 1 0 0 0 3.0 11 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 2
09.14 vs Bal 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.0 10 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
09.19 at Cle 1 0 1 0 0 0 3.0 11 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
09.25 vs Min 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.0 11 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 5

17 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Agree with RZ and Drungo above and am surprised the folks knocking next year based on two trades as a team much worse than 2019.  We will have Hays (hopefully healthy and productive all season) with a nice upside and Mountcastle.  We should have a better bullpen than in 2018.

I thought Bundy pitched much better towards the end of 2019.  The success IIRC was against weaker teams, but he seemed to be missing the center of the plate and pitching more at the ends for that success.  I think it is good that we traded him.

I like the return - top 30 Angels prospect and two pretty decent prospects who could have gone higher in the 2019 draft.  I think that Elias, like MacPhail, wants strength in numbers and also wants guys who don't have to be on the 40 man.    

So .... Just thinking out loud .... You lose 4 wins with Villar plus the wins below replacement for the rule 5 A level ballplayer that is no where near ready to play at the majors. Richie Martin was -.6 and played at AA. So this guy is proabably be worse.

And Bundy was worth 2.3 and David Hess was worth -1.1

So you've just lost 8+ games