Caleb Joseph has an option left

wildcard

Which could be a attractive feature for the O's.

Caleb will turn 34 on June 18th.   He has been catching major league pitchers for years.  He has major league experience.  Two of his options were used in 2018 and 2019.  He was optioned in 2017 but was not in the minors for 20 days so that one does not count.   

The near future of the O's rotation  will be in Norfolk this year with 6 of the O's starter prospects that could be promoted to the majors by years end.  Having Caleb be there to mentor them could be a good player development move.   And with Caleb able be go up and down to majors as often as the O's desire that could help the O's roster flexibility in case of injury or non performance of Sisco and Severino.

His salary will not be that high as he would probably be on split salary contract.  A high salary for a minor leaguer when he is Norfolk and a low salary for a major leaguer when in the majors.   Overall less than 1 million dollars.     Caleb spend about half the year in the majors and half in the minors last season.   A lot depends on what Caleb can command on the open market and whether he thinks he will see some time in the majors with the O's next season is my guess. 

Last season Caleb earned about half of his 1.2m salary for the time he was in the majors and half his minor league salary for his time in the minors.   Overall maybe 800K.

Caleb could be a fit for the O's.

Caleb is like having an extra coach around so I'd have zero issues with signing him to a minor league contract then bringing him in to spring training. Worse case is he's a decent veteran catcher to have with the prospects coming up in AAA.

I'd say there is little to no reason to sign him to a major league contract.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, theocean said:

Are they still annoyed at him for going to arbitration over $300,000 after a year where he had 0 RBIs?

I'm a pretty forgiving person by nature, but some things are too beyond the pale, even for me.................. 

Let him rot!  ?

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to find out what we have in Severino and Sisco.  Heck, Wynns too.  Joseph would be ok to have around for AAA depth, but I don't want him taking playing time away from anyone.  

I think the ship sailed on Sisco. He is what he is and what he is is not pretty.

The other guys are meh. There’s no one who especially needs ABs.

Just now, Philip said:

I think the ship sailed on Sisco. He is what he is and what he is is not pretty.

The other guys are meh. There’s no one who especially needs ABs.

I don't care how down anyone can be on Sisco.  We're going to lose, and lose a lot.  If we're not giving shots to younger players, than what team should?  

.729 OPS in his age 24 season.  Tough crowd.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I'm a pretty forgiving person by nature, but some things are too beyond the pale, even for me.................. 

Let him rot!  ?

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to find out what we have in Severino and Sisco.  Heck, Wynns too.  Joseph would be ok to have around for AAA depth, but I don't want him taking playing time away from anyone.  

@Tony-OH or somebody else can correct me.

I think most ST camps want 6 or 7 catchers around, before cutting down the numbers for the parent club and then AAA.

There is more enough playing time in ST for the catchers.

IMO, not sure Sisco is a viable option for catching from a defender point.

15 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

I don't see the harm. He's serviceable, a (selfishly, for me) personal, if not quite fan, favorite, and replenishes some veteranosity, a fair amount of which we've lost over these last several days. 

Agree that there's no need for an ML contract. MiL deal, ST invite, go from there.

I personally prefer a Paul Bako or Sal Fasano type backup catcher. One who can really provide some muscle in a dugout-clearing brawl.

• Upvote 1