Connolly: Elias does not have approval to take on salary to add prospects in a trade

Sydnor

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow ...I was looking at Cozart's stats on BBREF, He was a .933 OPS in 2017 then fell off the Chris Davis cliff.

Looks like a shoulder injury. I don't know what Arthroscopic Debribement is but it sounds pretty serious.

plus and I know it's a risk but Cozart is a pretty good player if he can rebound. Maybe they Giants can deal him mid season for more.

He was comparable to JJ hardy. I read he tore his labrum and it affected his hitting. Not sure if it was his throwing shoulder. 

It was a creative move by the Giants. It’s true that draft picks would sign for much larger contracts if they were FA. AR signed for like $12 million. He’d get 5x that on the open market, at least. 

The Giants and Mets have multiple bad contracts. At least we could offer them a bad consolidation contract in Chris Davis. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He was comparable to JJ hardy. I read he tore his labrum and it affected his hitting. Not sure if it was his throwing shoulder. 

It was a creative move by the Giants. It’s true that draft picks would sign for much larger contracts if they were FA. AR signed for like $12 million. He’d get 5x that on the open market, at least. 

The Giants and Mets have multiple bad contracts. At least we could offer them a bad consolidation contract in Chris Davis. 

It was his left shoulder and he throws righty.

• Upvote 1

Here's an idea. The Astros are trying to shed payroll. They've shopped Josh Reddick and his one year $13M contract without success.

MLBTR today suggesting Abraham Toro might be added in with a bad contract to make a trade work. Toro is the stros #5 prospect.

Would you take Reddick and his $13M salary plus Toro if we're only giving up a minimal return? 

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

18M and that is with the cost of the signing bonus already subtracted out. So pretty much 22M in expected future value for 12.7M in certain present savings. It’s a pretty high discount rate, but not totally crazy if it lets the Angels acquire another win now piece.

Don't forget about the cash considerations, which I read are believed to be the reimbursement of the bonus.

One has to look at the team construct with Reddick and the impact on wins and losses.  If Reddick causes us to pass a team in the standings and lose a draft position, then the impact on that needs to be considered.

If we could land Reddick with a prospect and then deal Reddick while paying some of his salary, then I would be completely in favor.

22 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not sure where I said there wasn't a budget! I believe I said it was safe to assume that they have one.

To repeat! I am under the impression that Elias has full autonomy and that he is given a budget!

I thought I was agreeing with you.  Now I'm just confused.  lol 

23 hours ago, Sydnor said:

This wasn’t intended to be click-baity. Connolly literally wrote that sources told him as follows:

“According to multiple sources, last winter Elias gave his talent evaluators the directive to keep a discerning scouting eye on players with unwieldy contracts to see if they have anything left in the tank. Because he believed back then that he could take on money in mid-2019 or 2020 if it meant adding a top prospect or two in tandem.”

I thought it was worthy of posting for people to view. I don’t really start topics and I’ll refrain from doing so again in the future.

All good. Don’t refrain from posting. Look at all the responses to this thread! That keeps the traffic flowing on this board.

It is a good topic and I appreciate you posting it for the non-subscribers of the Athletic. My real point is that Connolly seems to be a pot-stirrer, which is actually quite a refreshing departure from the MASN soldiers. Since all the front office firings, he’s gone on a bit of a crusade against Elias. But, I’d honestly rather read someone who challenges and debates what the team is doing versus a company shill that spits out rainbows and lollipops.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You're * right...snark is something you can throw at someone...then play the victim. Think what you want...I won't lose any sleep either way.

I'm still trying to see where you admitted you were wrong.  You admitted to not being informed and then you, frankly I'm not sure what that second post was about.  Asking me if I "personally" know what Elias thinks.  Just seems like you were lashing out at that point.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still trying to see where you admitted you were wrong.  You admitted to not being informed and then you, frankly I'm not sure what that second post was about.  Asking me if I "personally" know what Elias thinks.  Just seems like you were lashing out at that point.

I admitted I didn't know about the trade...then I asked if you knew if Elias considered Wilson a worthwhile prospect to take on salary for. Since you're so much more informed than I.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I admitted I didn't know about the trade...then I asked if you knew if Elias considered Wilson a worthwhile prospect to take on salary for. Since you're so much more informed than I.

Right, you were wondering if I had personal information from the GM.  ?

Totally reasonable request.

5 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Here's an idea. The Astros are trying to shed payroll. They've shopped Josh Reddick and his one year $13M contract without success.

MLBTR today suggesting Abraham Toro might be added in with a bad contract to make a trade work. Toro is the stros #5 prospect.

Would you take Reddick and his $13M salary plus Toro if we're only giving up a minimal return? 

No. Because 13 million.