Connolly: Elias does not have approval to take on salary to add prospects in a trade

Sydnor

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody says every rebuild has to start with losing 100+ games.     But somehow, you fail to acknowledge that the O’s lost 115 games before they started their rebuild.    It’s like you are blaming Elias for the situation he inherited, which is completely different from the situation the Giants were in.   And not only did the Orioles lose 115 games in 2018, they had a below average farm system, a substandard international operation, and a substandard analytics department.    Those are just facts.    

Another fact is that Elias told us exactly what he was going to do.   And he’s doing it.    You may not like that approach, but that’s what we were told we were getting, and blaming someone for doing exactly what he said he would do is crazy.     

First off I think you can blame someone for doing something they said they would do.  If someone was running for president and they said they were eliminating all Social Security payments and they did it when elected I could certainly blame them for the results of that action.

Second I don't think he laid out his plans to sell off players for very low level prospects in his second year who are at best 4 years away from helping the big league team. 

Also, I will give you some credit. You are one of the few Elias supporters who plans to continue to attend a large amount of games the upcoming season. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

The Astros signed Altuve and Bergman to long term deals.  I guess it makes sense to sign your main guys years before they get to free agency.

The Astros have also indicated that they would consider trading Carlos Correa.  So it's a case by case basis, as it should be.

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The Astros have also indicated that they would consider trading Carlos Correa.  So it's a case by case basis, as it should be.

Correa refused to sign extension. If he was willing to sign a Bregman type deal he would have been extended. 

2 hours ago, Sydnor said:

This wasn’t intended to be click-baity. Connolly literally wrote that sources told him as follows:

“According to multiple sources, last winter Elias gave his talent evaluators the directive to keep a discerning scouting eye on players with unwieldy contracts to see if they have anything left in the tank. Because he believed back then that he could take on money in mid-2019 or 2020 if it meant adding a top prospect or two in tandem.”

I thought it was worthy of posting for people to view. I don’t really start topics and I’ll refrain from doing so again in the future.

Eh, I know you didn't intend it to be click baity but...Connolly can't really confirm it.  Elias doesn't confirm it.  Connolly certainly dances all around it and certainly makes everyone think that this is the case but stops just short of getting a definite quote that leaves no doubt.  

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He shouldn't be able to get more embarrassed than he already is.  Its ridiculous.

So yesterday Mike mentioned that the conversation with Boras last year was more that Davis had a real down season and would get back to what worked and contribute fully last season. 

This year's conversation is that the Orioles have specific things that they require of their employee. He did not do the things they wanted last offseason unsupervised so they would be making monthly visits this offseason to Dallas to inspect what they expect. It would probably only be twice or three time. Orioles also have limited team resources in Dallas, so the were partnering with the Boras group to help supply the swing coaches and trainers that would help implement specific work so that the Orioles were able to gain some value from his player. 

Its a performance improvement program for a  player.  His representation is aware of what negative results from this will mean. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

As I said, there are exceptions to every rule, but the rule remains valid: trade a guy at peak value and restock your supply.

You can trade Luis Aparicio, and get back Don Buford in return, when you have an elite defensive replacement like Mark Belanger ready to step in. I like to look it as upcycling players. Sometimes it hurts because it's nice to have guys like Cal and Brooks who are lifetime Orioles, but championships would ease that pain.

Chiming in on the Astros window and their moves; some of their decisions have been headscratchers. The second Altuve extension was questionable, particularly the timing. They had him for another two years at insanely cheap rates before he was a free agent and now he is very expensive and is starting to have trouble staying on the field for the whole season. That is most likely going to continue as he moves into his 30s, even if he is very productive when on the field. 

Letting Charlie Morton go led them to have to trade for Grienke taking on more money and losing prospects and pretty much sealing the deal on a Cole exit. 

I wasn't a part of the negotiations with Morton or potential negotiations with Cole and maybe neither of them wanted to be there much longer but with hindsight it seems feasible that the Astros could have had Verlander, Cole, Morton as their top three or even Verlander, Grienke, Morton.