Connolly: Elias does not have approval to take on salary to add prospects in a trade

Sydnor

10 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Here's an idea. The Astros are trying to shed payroll. They've shopped Josh Reddick and his one year $13M contract without success.

MLBTR today suggesting Abraham Toro might be added in with a bad contract to make a trade work. Toro is the stros #5 prospect.

Would you take Reddick and his $13M salary plus Toro if we're only giving up a minimal return? 

Change Toro to Forrest Whitley and I am all in. 

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Change Toro to Forrest Whitley and I am all in. 

I would be too but no way that's possible.

And maybe I'm a dreamer, ok, I'm positive I'm a dreamer, but if you took Reddick and Toro and gave up not much at all, Toro would bring 2-3 good (distant) prospects almost immediately. Or keep him for a year and let him prove himself. I'd feel confident that his value builds during that time.

Then pay half of Reddicks contract in a trade and he gets you 2 (distant) good prospects/lotto tickets. It likely costs $6M-$7M to bring in 3-4-5 really good prospects. 

@weams says it's too early and I think he's right. But I hope we're looking at possibilities like that.

12 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I would be too but no way that's possible.

And maybe I'm a dreamer, ok, I'm positive I'm a dreamer, but if you took Reddick and Toro and gave up not much at all, Toro would bring 2-3 good (distant) prospects almost immediately. Or keep him for a year and let him prove himself. I'd feel confident that his value builds during that time.

Then pay half of Reddicks contract in a trade and he gets you 2 (distant) good prospects/lotto tickets. It likely costs $6M-$7M to bring in 3-4-5 really good prospects. 

@weams says it's too early and I think he's right. But I hope we're looking at possibilities like that.

The parlay always pays more if it hits...

3 minutes ago, weams said:

The parlay always pays more if it hits...

And it never hits if you don't play.

I agree with you though. There are risks. Elias and company are making huge changes. No need to rush. This type of opportunity will be available next year too.

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

And it never hits if you don't play.

I agree with you though. There are risks. Elias and company are making huge changes. No need to rush. This type of opportunity will be available next year too.

Imagine just how much better the organization could have been had Scott Boras never made it in to Peter Angelos that one day. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Imagine just how much better the organization could have been had Scott Boras never made it in to Peter Angelos that one day. 

Yes but that can't be fixed now. Just have to deal with what we have.

But there should be a limit on how long that's an excuse.

Just now, 7Mo said:

Yes but that can't be fixed now. Just have to deal with what we have.

But there should be a limit on how long that's an excuse.

Was just thinking that one mistake, almost no matter how bad, can’t doom a franchise.    It takes multiple ineptitude.   

• 2 weeks later...