Tigers sign Schoop to a 1-year $6.1M contract

MurphDogg

Thought it was interesting, a fellow tanking team spending actual money to make their team slightly more watchable. I guess this increases the O's chances for the 2021 #1 pick.

Can look at it as the Tigers attempting to buy a prospect, if Schoop has a good first half he will undoubtedly be traded at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

Some of it was the Castellanos trade, but one of the stunners hearing some of the year in review stats is that in 2019 year of the homerun, the Tigers team leader only had 15!  This should help with that.

I'm agnostic leaning meh on Alberto having a full time 2B job to open the season - and there are still a ton of free agents below Schoop who could also become similarly valuable 1-year low-dollar July trade fill-ins: Wilmer Flores, Starlin Castro, maybe even Kipnis, Panik, Dozier.  I figure Cesar Hernandez is the one good enough to earn a role on a better team, but I think one of these guys is going to end up signing for a lot less than 1/6.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Thought it was interesting, a fellow tanking team spending actual money to make their team slightly more watchable. I guess this increases the O's chances for the 2021 #1 pick.

Can look at it as the Tigers attempting to buy a prospect, if Schoop has a good first half he will undoubtedly be traded at the deadline.

Good for him.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My take:  Tigers can afford to take on payrolll and they are willing to spend 3M for the chance to flip Schoop for prospects.

I am generally pulling for the Orioles to enter this market, and I hope with a sharper value than 2020 Schoop.

It does seem the homogenization of front offices in the fundamentals of their analysis will almost let guys like Cron/Schoop/Starlin have a AAA injury fill-in availability, except they are on MLB rebuilders.

I'm starting to take a bit of a Wilmer Flores shine - he's two months older than Schoop, but has him 102 to 98 at career OPS+, and has been improving as a hitter the last few years, perhaps enough to deserve an everyday job.  He isn't the 2B Schoop is, but I think we're in a world where Mike Moustakas is trusted there by teams who I guess feel they can position lumbering infielders effectively enough.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My take:  Tigers can afford to take on payrolll and they are willing to spend 3M for the chance to flip Schoop for prospects.

I wonder if this and Cron are a response to fan complaints too.