Jose Iglesias

LookinUp

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welp if we do sign Iglesias then that means we have to DFA someone. Valaika, Wilkerson, is a relief pitcher would seem logical. 

Iglesias isn’t my favorite, but it would give us a better defense. OD would likely be Ruiz, Iglesias, Wilkerson, Mancini across the IF. With Smith, Hays, and Santander in the OF. 

The guys on the bubble for me are  Hanhold,  Smith and Armstrong.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welp if we do sign Iglesias then that means we have to DFA someone. Valaika, Wilkerson, is a relief pitcher would seem logical. 

Iglesias isn’t my favorite, but it would give us a better defense. OD would likely be Ruiz, Iglesias, Wilkerson, Mancini across the IF. With Smith, Hays, and Santander in the OF. 

Hanser will be playing 2B.  Stewart would be my guess for LF, but I think he won't be ready for opening day. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

There are many possible candidates to be the O's left fielder including Santander, Mancini, Wilkerson, Williams, Stewart, Mountcastle,  and Smith.  I would put Smith last on that list.

I agree with you that those our all better options, but I think the OD LF job is Smith's to lose.  It's not saying much, just how I see the beginning of the year going down. 

Smith - OD LF

Stewart - DL, then onto extended ST or a rehab stint.  He has that injury.

Wilkerson - I think we like Smith more in LF than Wilkerson at the moment.  Pre ST.

Williams - He's got an uphill battle to make the team.  He'd require a 40 man move, so that means losing another player.  If Hays is healthy, I think Wilkerson would get the nod because of his versatility.

Mountcastle - He'll at least be in AAA so that we get extra year of control.

Unless Smith completely lays an egg in ST, I think he gets the first month to show what he can do in LF.  At least until Stewart is back, or Mountcastle is "ready".

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with you that those our all better options, but I think the OD LF job is Smith's to lose.  It's not saying much, just how I see the beginning of the year going down. 

Smith - OD LF

Stewart - DL, then onto extended ST or a rehab stint.  He has that injury.

Wilkerson - I think we like Smith more in LF than Wilkerson at the moment.  Pre ST.

Williams - He's got an uphill battle to make the team.  He'd require a 40 man move, so that means losing another player.  If Hays is healthy, I think Wilkerson would get the nod because of his versatility.

Mountcastle - He'll at least be in AAA so that we get extra year of control.

Unless Smith completely lays an egg in ST, I think he gets the first month to show what he can do in LF.  At least until Stewart is back, or Mountcastle is "ready".

That is possible.  I think Williams fill the bill as a backup CF that can play all 3 OF spots.   He is probably better in CF than Wilkerson.  Williams will probably battle Wilkerson and Smith to the LF job.   If Williams wins an OD spot Smith may be DFA'd

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Stewart has a hard time getting playing time in the majors after Mountcastle is promoted.   

Depends on how much playing time Davis gets.

Davis only started 15 of the final 43 games last year. If Mancini/Mountcastle gets two thirds of the starts at first base there will still be an opening at DH for Stewart with Santander and Mancini/Mountcastle in the corner outfield spots.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is possible.  I think Williams fill the bill as a backup CF that can play all 3 OF spots.   He is probably better in CF than Wilkerson.  Williams will probably battle Wilkerson and Smith to the LF job.   If Williams wins an OD spot Smith may be DFA'd

Just based on how the team viewed Williams and Smith last year, I think Williams would have to seriously out perform Smith in ST.  Smith was an penciled into the lineup pretty much everyday last year when healthy.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just based on how the team viewed Williams and Smith last year, I think Williams would have to seriously out perform Smith in ST.  Smith was an penciled into the lineup pretty much everyday last year when healthy.

Williams will outplay Smith defensively.  Offensively we will have to see.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not Hanser?--Because Yankees SP will be RHP?

15 hours ago, byrdz said:

Seems like a pretty exciting player in the field.

Iglesias apparently can still field as well as he did back then with the Tigers and put up unexpectedly strong offensive numbers for the Reds last season. Maybe he can pull a Didi with the O's! His glove--and I didn't know he had that good of an arm!--in any case might make up for some of the Villar excitement we'll miss and help Hanser become a better second baseman.