Iglesias signs with O's

weams

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we should set aside the grand ideas of flipping him.  MLBTR makes it sound like we will have a $3 million option for next year, so I think Jose is going to be a nice two year stop gap for us to provide competent defense.  

I don't think he brings enough back to be worth flipping.

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is curious that the Orioles are pinching pennies in so many ways, yet were willing to spend this much on a position that was not an extreme need.

Elias has said pretty much all offseason he wanted to add a veteran shortstop. I'd consider Richie Martin's glove average at best and his bat far below average.

I like the signing. It'll help out our young pitchers to have a solid defense behind them.

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I wonder if we're going to try and pick up a defense-first fielder at 2B as well.  Villar didn't grade very well at 2B either, and preventing 30 runs on defense would be akin to about 0.2 on the staff ERA, on a team that sorely needs that run prevention.

Alberto graded out very well at 2B last year.  +5 Rtot, +5 Rdrs, +4.0 UZR.    I think he’ll get more starts there in 2020 than he did in 2019 (67).    He and Iglesias should make a nice keystone combo when they’re both in the lineup.   

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we should set aside the grand ideas of flipping him.  MLBTR makes it sound like we will have a $3 million option for next year, so I think Jose is going to be a nice two year stop gap for us to provide competent defense.  

I agree with this. It also tells me what they think of Martin currently since they spent this offseason telling everyone he was better than the available defensive metrics. I don't think Iglesias will bring much if anything back in trade, so it appears they value his defense way more than Martin.

Either way, I could see him platooning with Martin or Martin making it as a utility guy still. 

I could see us with Iglesias at SS, Martin at 2B, and Alberto at 3B against left-handers. Martin would also play SS when Iglesias gets a day off against right-handers once in awhile.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah probably true. I think it would take a devastating last minute injury to a team with good odds to go very deep in the playoffs. Even then they probably can cover with depth. But who knows. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha I did say "if not elite". I'm underselling to not seem like an overwhelming optimist. But I agree, he's better than capable. 

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how to define “elite” so I decided I’d just say where I’d rank him among his peers.