Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

7 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Unless I've missed something amid all the news that has come out, it seems that the 2018 Astros, including numerous players and coaches, outright cheated, have been found out, and outside of the GM, manager and a $5M fine (a pittance), those actually responsible have got off with little repercussions.  Cora is out as Boston manager, and Beltran is out as Mets manager, but if they and many others cheated, why are they not banned? Sure their reputations are tarnished, but is that really it? Why aren't the players facing retribution from MLB?  I don't know, but the game was cheated severely, and the commissioner's ruling leaves me with a very foul taste about the game I've cherished my whole life (I'm 54).

Again, I may be misunderstanding all of the events, but that's my take based on what I believe to be true.

Where was it written in the MLBs official rules that you couldn't use cameras to steal signs?

I'm aware of memo circulated prior to the 2019 season .. did the Astros/RedSox  steal signs last year?  Or were all the violations prior to last year?

Edited by GuidoSarducci

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Unless I've missed something amid all the news that has come out, it seems that the 2018 Astros, including numerous players and coaches, outright cheated, have been found out, and outside of the GM, manager and a $5M fine (a pittance), those actually responsible have got off with little repercussions.  Cora is out as Boston manager, and Beltran is out as Mets manager, but if they and many others cheated, why are they not banned? Sure their reputations are tarnished, but is that really it? Why aren't the players facing retribution from MLB?  I don't know, but the game was cheated severely, and the commissioner's ruling leaves me with a very foul taste about the game I've cherished my whole life (I'm 54).

Again, I may be misunderstanding all of the events, but that's my take based on what I believe to be true.

What you call a pittance is the maximum amount allowed.

Cheated severely?  That's part of the problem here, folks want to burn the Astros not because they were cheating but because they were better at cheating.  Teams have cheated since day one.  I guess the key is to be good enough at it to win games but not so good that you lose the charm of being a scoundrel. 

Remember the Red Sox got busted not too long ago and a fine, which I'm sure was less than the 5M "pittance", is all they got.

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This just keeps getting worse and worse. Can find a bunch of youtube vids now like the ones Tony posted above where you clearly hear the booming noise before breaking balls. These guys were over the top egregious about it.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if they only banged on trash cans things are fine, but if they used buzzers they need to get banned for a year?

Huh?

Please explain.  I'm confused, either way they cheated.

I think they should be banned either way but they are not going to ban the whole team. But if only specific players wore buzzers ,they can ban those players .

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Finisher said:

This just keeps getting worse and worse. Can find a bunch of youtube vids now like the ones Tony posted above where you clearly hear the booming noise before breaking balls. These guys were over the top egregious about it.

If this is true, it indicates a layer of sophistication to this scheme that wasn’t known previously. 

Just now, Going Underground said:

I think they should be banned either way but they are not going to ban the whole team. But if only specific players wear buzzers ,they can ban those players .

I'm still not clear on the logic.  Too many players cheated the one way so we can't ban them but a fewer number cheated the other so we can?

How is that fair?

It's the same cheat.  That is like arresting folks that smoke heroin but not those that shoot up.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if they only banged on trash cans things are fine, but if they used buzzers they need to get banned for a year?

Huh?

Please explain.  I'm confused, either way they cheated.

What if they had a trash can under their shirt?  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still not clear on the logic.  Too many players cheated the one way so we can't ban them but a fewer number cheated the other so we can?

How is that fair?

It's the same cheat.  That is like arresting folks that smoke heroin but not those that shoot up.

Because MLB is not going to suspend 20 or more players for a season. They can make an example of the few and try to detsr it somewhat.Like everyone is speeding on the highway but few get pulled over by the police.Some will get away with it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Going Underground said:

Because MLB is not going to suspend 20 or more players for a season. They can make an example of the few and try to detsr it somewhat.Like everyone is speeding on the highway but few get pulled over by the police.Some will get away with it.

I can't agree.  They did the same thing they just used a different method.  You can't prosecute one and not the other.  Also the MLBPA would rightfully throw a fit.

What you are talking about is pulling over motorcycles that speed but not cars.