Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

I think to answer the original question, its about right.  I say that as it appears to be about as strong as possible without being challenged.  Could not punish the players without challenge.  But I think this is still a moving incident and a big one.  I also do not think it stops here.  Verducci has a piece as does Kenny stating that the evidence has pointed at least 8 more teams.  We know the Redsox are one of those.  The Redsox have been punished for this before.  If hammer is light on anyone else, especially if Boston or NYY are involved will raise serious concern.

My guess, St. Louis, Boston, NY Yankees, Mets, Toronto, Cubs?  I don't know...speculation.

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

"The impression," one person familiar with the call told ESPN, "was that the penalty for complaining would be more than Houston got."

• Upvote 1

I think it was a pathetic penalty and if there was any justice, their entire year should've been somehow voided, including the players' statistics, and the World Series victory.  Wanted to see bans on execs, coaches, and players handed out like candy, and didn't get it.  It was a coordinated and complex attack on the integrity of the game.  Same goes for any other teams doing this.

40 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Whoa - be careful what you complain about!  LoMo implicates a few other teams like the Yanks and LAD.

Logan Morrison never played for any of those teams.  Unless he wants to implicate a team he played on I think he should just keep quiet. 

If they are so bothered by stealing signs...  Why don't they just make it impossible to steal signs.  Not like we don't have the tech.  Just put a gadget on the catchers wrist with a flap that has buttons on it, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever.  Let him call pitches by lifting the flap and pushing a button.  Button sends a signal to pitcher with an ear piece with the designated pitch.  Pitcher shakes off, catcher pushes another button.  Rinse repeat.  Or an apple watch on catcher to send signal to pitcher's watch... whatever...  The players know how apple watches work so maybe that's good enough...

Players always say just change the signs, but I know those conventions are complex and they are still figured out.

Not to mention catchers getting crossed up and injured.

Not to mention umps getting injured from crossed up catchers.

Not to mention Manfred's game pace fixation.

IMO sign stealing, other than man on 2nd, should not be a part of the game.  Certainly not with any electronic means.

As I stated in the MLB thread, I think this punishment was light, I think it should have extended to the players, and I think this is a bigger scandal that steroids and will be shown to be such if baseball does it's due diligence and investigates every team and punishes them.

If baseball does its usual sweep under the rug than I think it will just continue the incentivization of cheating in the game, the widespread belief that it is a dirty game, and its continued degradation as an entertainment.