Broadcasting changes

eddie83

Frankly, I'm cool with just about all of this. Hunter is a pro, but struck me as little bit too much of a salesman or an actor. I always thought he was a less annoying version of Michael Reghi. I like Kevin Brown. He has the low-key delivery and a dry humor that reminds me of Joe Angel and, to a lesser extent, Mike Flanagan. 

I don't mind having some new faces (voices) in the mix as well. Maybe these younger folks will embrace analytics a bit more.  I don't want guys telling about RBI when we all know that the people running the team have moved past the old-school stuff. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Just glad to see Thorne and Palmer back in the TV booth.  I could care less about these attractive sideline reporters.  Just give me a Cass Elliot lookalike wearing a "moo-moo" as long as they add competent info to the telecast.

The press release didn't mention whether the Orioles will have a sideline reporter at all. I tend to think baseball doesn't particularly need them.

17 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

The press release didn't mention whether the Orioles will have a sideline reporter at all. I tend to think baseball doesn't particularly need them.

Right.   I speculated that with the two new hires from A ball, one might be hosting the postgame with Demper since it appears Davis isn't anymore, and one might be a sideline reporter.   But nothing has been announced there.   I even made sure to put my speculation in a followup post rather than the initial post where i linked the article and listed the facts.  (Which woundup getting merged with a thread eddie started while I was composing my  messaage).

1 minute ago, Eric-OH said:

I’m a huge fan of Big Ben and absolutely love the idea of listening to a Southern accent telling me the story of each game.  Plus he’s funny, experienced and has a pretty good vault of stories.  I’m always happy when I switch on a game and hear he’s doing it...

Me too, he's great.   In past years he hasn't joined the team until July, after the College World Series ends.

Olson is good too, if you are interested in pitch selection,  how the pitcher is trying to set up the hitter, etc..   I wonder if he goes a little too deep for some casual fans, but I enjoy listening.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but Scott Garceau, while being plenty of affable, seems a little short on the insight and long on the cliche.

Have at me.

There's certainly some truth to that but I thought he did a very good job of play by play for the Ravens.  I go down to Virginia Tech for home he weekends and the 5 hour drive home Sunday usually means I have to listen to the first quarter or so of a 1pm Ravens home game, and back when he did the pbp I thought he was very good.

Also, I think that the past few years of working with Jeremy has helped bring out at least a little bit of an edge to him.  I think the likable grandpa thing is a bit of a schtick 

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/02/19/orioles-shake-broadcast-team-remove-jim-hunter-add-arnold-garceau-newman/

“As the Orioles are going through this rebuild process, you have a lot of great prospects coming through the system, many of whom I’ve seen already and have relationships with,” Arnold said. “You can probably rattle off a lot of facts about a guy like Mike Trout. You may not be able to do the same about a guy like Mason McCoy, at least just yet. To be able to tell their stories, where they’ve been and where they’re going, I can provide a little more perspective to that.”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I actually don't mind Hunter on the radio.  

Give me Palmer and Thorne all day.  

Kind of insulted by the fact that they're using this press release to say that it's a "diverse" team.  As someone who doesn't care if my baseball broadcast teams are "diverse" just because you're including a woman here doesn't make it so.  Don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Rob Long, while not calling the games, is African American FWIW 

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

He's there in the paragraph that starts talking about Gary Thorne.   "Longtime announcers JIM HUNTER and TOM DAVIS will bring their decades of Orioles experience to new roles as regular on-air contributors in 2020."

Maybe this means he will have a reduced role?

Focusing on the Weis beat

• Haha 1