Broadcasting changes

eddie83

3 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

So Gary Throne is still the main guy correct? Is he going to do any spring games?

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No,just Scott  

I know that was reported somewhere but I can't fully believe it. Gary will want to do at least one game to get back in shape. And to hang around the camp and talk to some guys. Get a feel for the team.

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

I know that was reported somewhere but I can't fully believe it. Gary will want to do at least one game to get back in shape. And to hang around the camp and talk to some guys. Get a feel for the team.

Scott said it on air but maybe said doing most of the early games We shall see.Only five more TV ganes left.One tomorrow  

15 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Scott said it on air but maybe said doing most of the early games We shall see.Only five more TV ganes left.One tomorrow  

5 games left...*looks at calendar" March 2nd. This is something I will never understand with the O's, broadcast more spring training games.

Steve Melewski has a nice writeup on Melanie Newman, who brings experience from MiLB, ACC, etc. to the table.  @interloper

"She’s had some nice chances along the way and feels ready to make her MLB debut. And she’ll work for the Orioles in a variety of roles on radio and TV. On opening day, she’ll be the sideline reporter for MASN. She said her schedule calls for her to be on radio for 58 games and for about the same total on television.

“My first opportunity was with a Diamondbacks affiliate,” Newman said. “Then I ended up with the Rangers and then last year with Boston. I’m getting a lot of jokes now like I’ve jumped to the other side of the fence. But with how welcoming they have been and how much they want to utilize all I can do, I feel really fortunate. Every other opportunity I would think about and look at was having to choose. Do you want to be in the booth or on the sidelines? To do a bit of everything here and to really bring out the stories we’ll have this year excites me the most that the box doesn’t have to exist anymore.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/03/melanie-newman-to-make-os-broadcasting-debut-today.html

• Upvote 1

I like Brett Hollander.  Is he still going to work on WBAL radio and doing both? Update I just did my own research and see he left WBAL for this position.  I think much thought has gone into these changes the new Oriole regime has put in.  I like the people they have hired and agree with the ones they have replaced.  To me they have taken a deep dive into what the fans opinion and viewpoint on these issues.  No it won't make a bit of difference on the win/loss total but they are trying to make the total experience better.  It is appreciated by me.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I like Brett Hollander.  Is he still going to work on WBAL radio and doing both? Update I just did my own research and see he left WBAL for this position.  I think much thought has gone into these changes the new Oriole regime has put in.  I like the people they have hired and agree with the ones they have replaced.  To me they have taken a deep dive into what the fans opinion and viewpoint on these issues.  No it won't make a bit of difference on the win/loss total but they are trying to make the total experience better.  It is appreciated by me.  

I didn’t hear about Hollander until today and I’m also a fan. But one question I do have is it seems like the Orioles have too many people on the broadcast side now. I’m interested to see how they make this work over the course of the season. 

Now that I've heard her, I remember her form her minor league broadcast with Winston Salem while watch the Keys. she was the announcer and I remember thinking she was the best minor league announcer I had heard all year. Great voice, really good at describing the action, and has outstanding knowledge. She's a really good hire.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, accinfo said:

No, he's leaving WBAL.

• Upvote 1