SI: MLBPA rejects 2020 draft proposal - UPDATE 5 round implemented

weams

10 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

With the contraction of the MIL are they actually going to raise the income for the players which in some cases is below the poverty line?

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As for your question I do think that is in the works. 

Really? I value your opinion because you're up on stuff much more than most people. I find it hard to believe MLB teams are going to hand out big raises even if they are saving a buttload on paying for less MiL teams.

Only if someone, a modern day minor league Andy Messersmith or Dave McNally arises, or MiLB starts threatening some legal action, Unfair Labor Practices or something. Or Congress gets involved. MLB teams would only act if forced by some outside event. They'll just pocket the extra profits.

IMHO

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Really? I value your opinion because you're up on stuff much more than most people. I find it hard to believe MLB teams are going to hand out big raises even if they are saving a buttload on paying for less MiL teams.

Only if someone, a modern minor league Andy Messersmith or Dave McNally arises, or MiLB starts threatening some legal action, Unfair Labor Practices or something. Or Congress gets involved. MLB teams would only act if forced by some outside event. They'll just pocket the extra profits.

IMHO

I'm not sure how big a raise it's going to be but yea, I read some stuff months ago that makes me think it is going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure how big a raise it's going to be but yea, I read some stuff months ago that makes me think it is going to happen. 

It's kind of in their best interest to do it. My take is there is some sentiment out there that minor league players are unfairly overworked and underpaid. Illegally so perhaps... Not paid for all the hours they "work". Like to sub-minimum wage levels. It might be best for teams to head that storm off at the pass... as it were. Give them a small but decent raise to look proactive. And to avoid worse ramifications from outside sources.

10 hours ago, scOtt said:

It's kind of in their best interest to do it. My take is there is some sentiment out there that minor league players are unfairly overworked and underpaid. Illegally so perhaps... Not paid for all the hours they "work". Like to sub-minimum wage levels. It might be best for teams to head that storm off at the pass... as it were. Give them a small but decent raise to look proactive. And to avoid worse ramifications from outside sources.

I think the owners fear either state government and/or Congressional action because of the backlash.  The optics aren't great when a franchise that's worth over $1B pays MLBers $3M a season on average, but pays many of their minor leaguers $8000 a year and asks them to bunk with local families because they can't afford to sleep on an air mattress in an apartment they're sharing with five other guys.

Yes, I know there's essentially an endless line of guys willing to do that, but the optics still aren't great.  It also forces most 28-year-old minor leaguers with families to quit or move to Korea or Japan, which makes for compelling newspaper stories about how stingy multi-millionaire MLBers are.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I remember when i was young and working for peanuts, even small  raises like .25 cents an hour was welcome.

At the time, it beat no raise. :)

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

But that was when you could buy a mule for a ha'penny.

I remember my first rent on a 1 bedroom apartment was $200 a month and thought it was too high. LOL

I think I was making 7,500 a year as an entry level job. Boy, that takes me back a few decades.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:28 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I think the owners fear either state government and/or Congressional action because of the backlash.  The optics aren't great when a franchise that's worth over $1B pays MLBers $3M a season on average, but pays many of their minor leaguers $8000 a year and asks them to bunk with local families because they can't afford to sleep on an air mattress in an apartment they're sharing with five other guys.

Yes, I know there's essentially an endless line of guys willing to do that, but the optics still aren't great.  It also forces most 28-year-old minor leaguers with families to quit or move to Korea or Japan, which makes for compelling newspaper stories about how stingy multi-millionaire MLBers are.

MLB pioneered the gig economy. They don’t get enough credit for innovative thinking.

12 hours ago, weams said:

- They're still going to sign players after the 5th round, but pay them less.  So let's say each team signs 25 additional amateur free agents and pays them each $10k, that's $250k. 

- $2.4M is the equivalent of the 16th-highest paid player on the Yanks.  Or roughly Mychael Givens.

I like how the BA article equates this to 12 team/front office employees making $60k still being employed instead of being laid off.  Won't you think of the little people?  C'mon... can we be a little less melodramatic?  This is the equivalent of 2-3% of a small market team's payroll, and less than 1.5% of any MLB team's typical revenues.

• Upvote 1