On This Day In 1970: May 15

cboemmeljr

#50THANNIVERSARY

On this day in 1970 the Baltimore Orioles travelled down to RFK Stadium where they beat the Washington Senators 4-3 in 11 innings.

Boog Powell's fielder's choice grounder to SS scored Dave May to tie the game in the top of the 9th and Curt Motton's 11th inning single scored Merv Rettenmund, who had doubled to start the inning, for what proved to be the winning run.

Rettenmund's run gave the win to Pete Richert, his first, who pitched 2 scoreless, hitless innings of relief with 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

BOX SCORE

• Upvote 1

For those that didnt catch on to what I was talking about.

Dick Bosman was a very good arm and in 69 and 70 was pretty much an Ace for the team.

He would later end up as a pitching coach when his playing days from over, and from 92-94, he was with the Orioles as their P.C.

The Orioles pretty much owned the Senators back then, beating them with regularity.

Looking at the Senators lineup, I recall every one of their players even their first names.  I was such a baseball fan I tried to watch the Senators games if the Orioles were not on TV.  Living in Columbia MD as I recall I could pull in the weak Washington TV stations if I adjusted the rabbit ears just right, even though there was a lot of static for the Senators games.

The Baltimore Sun used to publish a TV guide with their Sunday paper back then, that showed all of the upcoming Senators and Orioles TV games.  It was a good time to be a kid watching baseball in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1