2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

Tony-OH

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How are they first round talents if no one had them rated in the top 40 prospects?  They apparently aren't asking for more than first round money.  If they are first round talents why wasn't anyone willing to pay 1st round money to sign them in the first round?

I think it’s because no one else thought they would sign, but Elias made a pre-draft deal? Not against the rules just finding out what it would take to get them to sign instead of going to college?

@Tony-OH appreciate the article.

Personally have not paid much attention to MLB drafts until last year once the new regime has stepped in. The idea of overslotting/underslotting was foreign to me until this draft, but I tend to think this strategy is an excellent way at building up your farm system. 

• Upvote 1

Hahahaha

So funny watching people aka Corn doubt Elias and his crew of insanely intelligent baseball minds. Of course they had a plan. Of course he's going to use his last pick on a first round talent pitcher no one thought would sign in a million years but we have all but signed. 

Come on. People really think he's just out there "saving money" because "the Orioles don't want to spend on players"?? People really do think that! Interesting!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks Tony .... Nice article

But, I think the 1st three picks are crappy! Kjerstad was a reach at #2. A wasted rare high pick! #2 and #3 project as a utility Inf and 4th OF. The high school 5th rounder is the only value pick based on rankings!

Elias crapped the bed here!

Just now, RZNJ said:

It sure sounds like you are the one crapping the bed. lol.  Relax.  Your description of one guy as a utility Inf and one as a 4th Of are possibilities. Just as it's possible that 90% of all teams 2nd and 3rd round picks become career minor leaguers.

I read the scouting reports and what was said during the draft coverage. Martin was and will be better than Kjerstad ....Bank on it

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Devil's advocate alert! Who, besides the Orioles described Baumler as a 1st round talent?  Where does that description come from?  

Puffing to help strengthen their argument! Happens here all the time! I think it was the best value pick based on player ranking, Around 100, and selected with the 133 selection

9 hours ago, Gatoriole said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this asked yet, but @Tony-OH where do they fit in our Top 30?

I typically don't do reevaluation of prospect lists after the draft, but once they sign I will, especially since it appears there will not be a minor league season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how to think about this draft...and I think that makes sense given it was a 5-round draft without much 2020 information available. As such, everyone is gravitating towards "old" data when we know how much a year can change someone's draft status. And I don't tend to look at much college or prep guys until the year of the draft anyway so I don't really know much about any of these players.

I think it was an interesting strategy to take with such a high draft pick and some seemingly great options available. But...I'm willing to wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

How are they first round talents if no one had them rated in the top 40 prospects?  They apparently aren't asking for more than first round money.  If they are first round talents why wasn't anyone willing to pay 1st round money to sign them in the first round?

1st round talents don't always mean they are going in the first round. I mean, if you wanna be tied up on words, be my guest, but guys have 1st round talent and fall for lots of reason including signing demands and risk.

• Upvote 1