2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Bitsko was an actual 17 year old can't miss guy he wouldn't have lasted until Tampa's pick.

Good prospect sure, but hardly can't miss.  He pitched 33 innings in HS.

I hear you and you're right. You cant really say cant miss without at least a full season but the tools are there and Elias has shown with Grayson that he has an eye for elite high school pitching. Cikelo (sp?) The orioles scouting director made allusions that a pitcher was taken before they got their ability to do so. I only put two and two together to determine that was likely Bitsko. But you're right. Man, I really have to watch my P's and Q's with you guys as yall are prone to pick apart every word and apply your own definition. I like it though. I will learn to communicate my thoughts to fellow O's fans in better ways as to express my thoughts clearly to all.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Callis has the Os #4 in best drafts.

So I guess the question is if Elias had picked Martin or Lacy (both 60 rated overall players)  and picked the next best player with each pick would the O's draft be rated #2?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So I guess the question is if Elias had picked Martin or Lacy (both 60 rated overall players)  and picked the next best player with each pick would the O's draft be rated #2?

I mean they could have simply picked whomever the Marlins were going to pick and finished with the second best draft.

38 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I hear you and you're right. You cant really say cant miss without at least a full season but the tools are there and Elias has shown with Grayson that he has an eye for elite high school pitching. Cikelo (sp?) The orioles scouting director made allusions that a pitcher was taken before they got their ability to do so. I only put two and two together to determine that was likely Bitsko. But you're right. Man, I really have to watch my P's and Q's with you guys as yall are prone to pick apart every word and apply your own definition. I like it though. I will learn to communicate my thoughts to fellow O's fans in better ways as to express my thoughts clearly to all.

While I'm picking at nits, Elias didn't select Grayson.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is not a nit to Dan Duquette.

Well, I remember a lot of folks (including me) weren’t thrilled with the Rodriguez pick when it was made.    There were 2-3 more highly touted pitchers on the board at the time.      But Rodriguez has proved Rajsich knew what he was doing.    Hopefully this year’s draft class will do they same.   

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Yes. You do need to watch your Ps and Qs.  Proper social discourse is required.  No politics is discussed either. Talk all the baseball you want and enjoy. But don’t project any personal feeling about politics or society on players. Unless you are reporting racist tweets and I’d hate it if you start doing that also. 

25 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. You do need to watch your Ps and Qs.  Proper social discourse is required.  No politics is discussed either. Talk all the baseball you want and enjoy. But don’t project any personal feeling about politics or society on players. Unless you are reporting racist tweets and I’d hate it if you start doing that 

I wasn't. Did you not read my response? I said it didn't matter what side of the political spectrum his statement was about. It was the fact he made a statement at all. No other top prospect chose to do so. I'm merely positing that that means something about that particular player. I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

Edited by Explosivo

23 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I wasn't. Did you not read my response? I said it didn't matter what side of the political spectrum his statement was about. It was the fact he made a statement at all. No other top prospect chose to do so. I'm merely positing that that means something about that particular player. I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

Good. 

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

I could care less what his politics are. I am merely showing that it is a reflection of his character for him to make any message at all. That's it. 

I don’t see that at all.     I’m going to stay out of politics, but I don’t have a problem with athletes taking a political stand and I certainly don’t see it as a negative on their character when they do.    If this even was a political statement, which is debatable.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Explosivo said:

What does it reflect about his character? 

29 minutes ago, joelala said:

What does it reflect about his character? 

Well it's difficult to pinpoint exactly. Just odd that he is the only one doing so and when you are being as selective as one is afforded with the number two pick, every glimpse into the psyche of the person in question matters. I'm more worried about his future position defensively, his lack of power and his arm strength to be honest. But I do think to scout a player is to scout a person. Analytics is a tool and so is psychology. We are multifaceted and each facet requires examination. That's why the interview process is important. It may not be as important as grading the player out, but it is a factor. So what does it say about his character? I can't give a fair answer as I have never had the opportunity to watch the kid in that capacity or to sit down and talk with the kid. I can say in his answers to the media, they are a lot more mercurial than I would hope. These are tiny red flags for sure but again, we were in a position to be as choosey as we would like to be. I think we made a wise choice. We will find out in three years and I look forward to revisiting this topic at that time. Either way, go O's and here's to a playoff calibur team in 3-5 years. 

Edited by Explosivo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Well it's difficult to pinpoint exactly. Just odd that he is the only one doing so and when you are being as selective as one is afforded with the number two pick, every glimpse into the psyche of the person in question matters. I'm more worried about his future position defensively, his lack of power and his arm strength to be honest. But I do think to scout a player is to scout a person. Analytics is a tool and so is psychology. We are multifaceted and each facet requires examination. That's why the interview process is important. It may not be as important as grading the player out, but it is a factor. So what does it say about his character? I can't give a fair answer as I have never had the opportunity to watch the kid in that capacity or to sit down and talk with the kid. I can say in his answers to the media, they are a lot more mercurial than I would hope. These are tiny red flags for sure but again, we were in a position to be as choosey as we would like to be. I think we made a wise choice. We will find out in three years and I look forward to revisiting this topic at that time. Either way, go O's and here's to a playoff calibur team in 3-5 years. 

Hell yea, go O’s. And as to your point, I guess I understand the thinking but will agree to disagree. And I did watch a Martin interview and to me, he came off as extremely earnest and well thought. I like that the young man is passionate about something other than baseball, that he has a sense of a higher purpose, a bigger picture perhaps. One COULD make the  argument even that it is a positive, especially in baseball which can be a very dark and lonely sport when one is mired in an 0-20 slump...

Bottom line: like it or not, we are in a time when our circumstances as a country have politicized virtually all forms of entertainment, I don’t think we can safely and fairly deduce anything negative about the young man through his choice to use his platform and visibility to support a cause he is passionate about. 

This debate is an interesting and important one  I think, though perhaps not for these message boards.  So agree to disagree and know that I respect your views on the issue. Again, go O’s!

13 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

A brand called Panini.  They’re on sale at Target here in Sarasota.  They go all the way down to the U15 team so I strangely got an autographed card from someone in 10th grade.  We all need baseball back badly.

Dude, are your Targets/Wal-Marts still stocking cards?  Up here in Northern VA they've been cleaned out for the past month or so.  I really only buy Topps but they don't have anything from any of the other brands, either. 

I don't think its correct to call Baumler a first round talent.    MLB Pipeline rated him as the 57th best pitcher in the draft.  And signability had nothing to do with that rating.  The pitchers rated above him had better fastball, breaking pitches, change and/or better control.

Baumler projects to help the O's but that says more about the level on pitching talent in the O's system then anything else.