Is Manfred’s job in jeopardy?

HowAboutThat

I have no sympathy for any of these commissioners in pro sports. They are paid a ton of money and they knowing going into it they are going to be criticized. That said it gets old with the constant complaining about them. I’m not saying they should not be critiqued but it gets old after awhile.

It still floors me some people think they are ambassadors of the sport instead of people who work for the owners. If they did not protect the owners best interests they would be fired. This isn’t complicated.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I have no sympathy for any of these commissioners in pro sports. They are paid a ton of money and they knowing going into it they are going to be criticized. That said it gets old with the constant complaining about them. I’m not saying they should not be critiqued but it gets old after awhile.

It still floors me some people think they are ambassadors of the sport instead of people who work for the owners. If they did not protect the owners best interests they would be fired. This isn’t complicated.  

I don't think anybody with much of an interest in baseball thinks that any more. It seems to me vital for MLB to restructure the Commissioner's office, maintaining the owners' control while getting some valuable input about what's in the best interests of the game's long-term future (and creating at least the appearance that it has some interest in that). Still thinking about ways to do that.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Bud Selig says hello.

I remember Bowie Kuhn, but what did Selig do? I think he Introduced the wild card, split the leagues into three divisions, and did he introduce inter league play?

I don’t have many memories of Selig. What dreadful things did he oversee?

I don’t mind the WC or the division arrangement, I think those were good ideas. I hate inter league play and the 2WC, the latter of which I think was Manfered’s call.

What I do know of Manfred, what he actually has done and what he desires to do, has all been awful. But I can’t compare the two because I’m unclear about Selig’s doings.

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

I remember Bowie Kuhn, but what did Selig do? I think he Introduced the wild card, split the leagues into three divisions, and did he introduce inter league play?

I don’t have many memories of Selig. What dreadful things did he oversee?

I don’t mind the WC or the division arrangement, I think those were good ideas. I hate inter league play and the 2WC, the latter of which I think was Manfered’s call.

What I do know of Manfred, what he actually has done and what he desires to do, has all been awful. But I can’t compare the two because I’m unclear about Selig’s doings.

Some of his lowlights:

1. 2002 All Star Game

The 2002 All Star Game was a fiasco in the simplest terms. The game was at Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where Bud Selig was the owner and team president. The 2002 game was tied in the 11th inning when both teams ran out of pitchers. The next season was the first season that Bud Selig introduced the all-star game being played for home field advantage in the World Series.

2. Not cracking down on PEDs sooner

Bud Selig will forever be the commissioner that lasted through the PED era. He put in policies to rid baseball of it’s black eye and people have still recently got in trouble for taking PEDs, mainly Alex Rodriguez. He put in policies, and suspended players only after they failed tests, and got more than just a failed test for evidence.

3. Houston Astros moving to the American League

In 2011, new owner Jim Crane met with commissioner Bud Selig prior to buying the team. Then on November 15, 2011, Jim Crane announced the Houston Astros were going to move from the NL Central to the AL West. Many blame Selig for the Astros moving to the AL, because he made them move to the AL as part of the sale to Jim Crane.

4. Bias toward Milwaukee Brewers

Bud Selig was the part owner and team president of the Milwaukee Brewers, before becoming the commissioner. When he became commissioner he transferred control of the Brewers to his daughter Wendy Selig.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some of his lowlights:

Thank you a lot for that list. I think Houston moving to the American League was a good and necessary thing. Before then the American League west had only four teams, and moving Houston made a much more logical alignment.

I think the All-Star game Is perpetually mishandled. I don’t know who started the policy of not letting players wear their own uniforms when playing, instead of having to wear some stupid generic “American league” or “national league” jersey, but that was and remains stupid. Everything associated with the All-Star game is stupid, so I don’t particularly blame Selig.

If his family owns the Milwaukee Brewers then he shouldn’t have been commissioner in the first place, any idiot should know that.

Regarding the drug situation, it sounds like what he did was correct, but you’re saying that he did it too late? Or you have a problem with what he actually did?

On balance, I think Manfred has much more to apologize for, And he has been much more damaging towards the game.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some of his lowlights:

Thank you a lot for that list. I think Houston moving to the American League was a good and necessary thing. Before then the American League west had only four teams, and moving Houston made a much more logical alignment.

I think the All-Star game Is perpetually mishandled. I don’t know who started the policy of not letting players wear their own uniforms when playing, instead of having to wear some stupid generic “American league” or “national league” jersey, but that was and remains stupid. Everything associated with the All-Star game is stupid, so I don’t particularly blame Selig.

If his family owns the Milwaukee Brewers then he shouldn’t have been commissioner in the first place, any idiot should know that.

Regarding the drug situation, it sounds like what he did was correct, but you’re saying that he did it too late? Or you have a problem with what he actually did?

On balance, I think Manfred has much more to apologize for, And he has been much more damaging towards the game.

17 hours ago, Philip said:

That was not my list, it was a list of what some of the fans find fault with.

Personally, I was never a fan of Houston moving to the AL. But, I dont blame the commish, either.

I think Drungo said it best, all of the commishs have done stuff so the fans dislike them. Now which is the worse, its basically perception on the fans part.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, Philip said:

.  .  .

A team had to switch leagues because of the imbalance in the number of teams in the leagues (and in one division  of each league). Houston was a good choice for that move. But the continuing problem of having leagues with an odd number of teams is the result of Manfred's mismanagement of expansion, which in turn has been extended by his failure to force a resolution of the difficult situations in Tampa and Oakland.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, Philip said:

The All Star game was a great idea back when there was no TV, no interleague play.  One game where you could see all the stars, and they treated it like a game, not a contest to see if you could get 33 players into a single 9-inning game.  But it went past it's sell-by date a couple decades ago, and baseball being baseball, will stick with it in it's present form all the way to the bitter end.

As for the drug situation, that's Bud's biggest problem, although he has others.  His fake naiveté is astonishing.  He had no problem posing with and cheerleading for Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and the rest of the pro wrestlers while adoring crowds poured money into his coffers.  But then when the hard evidence of PED use became too much to deny he was ***stunned*** that these nice boys from Mayberry would ever do such a thing to sully the national pastime, and they all need to be crucified because no one in management ever had the slightest inkling of what was going on.  No siree, we assumed Bret Boone turned into Rowdy Roddy Piper because he ate good solid American beef and corn.  Of course he wasn't going to return a penny of the $millions he made off of the offensive explosion and pitchers throwing 96 into their 40s.

I'm really not sure what Manfred has done that's so damaging.  Replay?  That was going to happen nevertheless, you can't continue having obviously incorrect calls decide game after game. Talking about pitch clocks and banning the shift without really doing anything?  2nd wildcard?  Someone needed to do something about the fact that winning the division had no advantages over winning the wildcard.  What are Manfred's cardinal sins that other commishes wouldn't have committed?