Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

2 of the links you provided are about the same incident, and there aren't many many more.

The video I posted provided dozens of examples of him hustling.

Not to mention the fact that Puig has been maligned by the media since he was called up by the Dodgers

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Okay, so even if he isn't the best hustler or grinder out there, there's still no downside to signing him.  You sign him for the 60 game season: at best, you get something for him on August 31 (maybe you can steal a top 15 prospect from someone desperate) and Diaz comes in and assumes his role.  At worst, he provides some entertainment, takes at bats away from the likes of Dwight Smith and maybe DJ Stewart, and he's onto bigger and better things for 2021.  

I think there’s no planet on which anybody who doesn’t want him now will suddenly want him at the end of August. Regarding his lack of hustle, because no one knows when he’s going to not hustle, it is dangerous to ever trust him, and they all know this and are currently acting accordingly. Top 15 Prospect? No. Not even in the best of all worlds, Which this is not

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think there’s no planet on which anybody who doesn’t want him now will suddenly want him at the end of August. Regarding his lack of hustle, because no one knows when he’s going to not hustle, it is dangerous to ever trust him, and they all know this and are currently acting accordingly. Top 15 Prospect? No. Not even in the best of all worlds, Which this is not

Eh, I disagree, especially with the uncertainty of COVID.  If COVID knocks a team's starting outfielder out who is healthy now (or any type of injury), Puig becomes a lot more attractive.  The reason he is not signing now is because no team needs him right now.  That could change.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Anonsnides said:

2 of the links you provided are about the same incident, and there aren't many many more.

The video I posted provided dozens of examples of him hustling.

Not to mention the fact that Puig has been maligned by the media since he was called up by the Dodgers

If he had a good reputation he would be in more demand, and he would not have shuttled from team to team. Every team that acquired him did so for his upside, but then got rid of him because his upside, whatever it was, was not enough.

Yes, Smith and Stewart are not the guys you want to bring home to show mom and dad. But they are the ones we got right now, Smith has a cheap placeholder, and Stewart as a guy we drafted who needs a chance to show that he’s not a wasted draft pick.

There’s no reason not to give him a chance. 

And now, everybody has an opinion has shared it, so we can move on.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

no team needs him right now.  That could change.

It COULD. That is, the chances are greater than zero. But it’s extremely unlikely given his past, which is the past of a talented guy with issues. But consider this:  teams at the deadline who need a talented outfielder will have a plethora of choices. If I am the manager, the last person I want is someone who may decide at a random time, for a random reason, not to hustle. I want someone who always gives 100% of his 40%, and not someone who occasionally gives 40% of his hundred percent.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he had a good reputation he would be in more demand, and he would not have shuttled from team to team. Every team that acquired him did so for his upside, but then got rid of him because his upside, whatever it was, was not enough.

You can make the same argument about pretty much any player who becomes free agent. 

That isnt an argument against the Orioles signing him.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

If the guy loses focus and is lazy while playing for a contender, even in the playoffs.

It leads me to suspect he will be worse here.

We pretty much burned Manny at the stake for not running to first a few times over his career.

This guy takes it to a whole new lack of effort play.

Well in a season when we'll be fortunate to win 15 games, it doesn't matter.  This board also wants every player ever to be Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson or Cal Ripken and thinks its realistic for every player ever to haul ass up the first base line cause, darnit, that's what we'd do!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Anonsnides said:

You can make the same argument about pretty much any player who becomes free agent. 

That isnt an argument against the Orioles signing him.

Of course it is. You’re suggesting an apple to my orange. A player becomes a free agent because he wants money, and sometimes he resigns with the same team because they are willing to pay the money. Sometimes they aren’t.

But that has nothing to do with Puig, who is currently a free agent. I was talking about all the teams who chose not to sign him as a free agent, and I’m also talking about those teams who acquired him and then traded him again.

Again, anybody who wants him can sign him now. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely that a team that isn’t signing him now for only money, will be willing to trade for him later when the cost will be money and some kind of a return.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It COULD. That is, the chances are greater than zero. But it’s extremely unlikely given his past, which is the past of a talented guy with issues. But consider this:  teams at the deadline who need a talented outfielder will have a plethora of choices. If I am the manager, the last person I want is someone who may decide at a random time, for a random reason, not to hustle. I want someone who always gives 100% of his 40%, and not someone who occasionally gives 40% of his hundred percent.

Right so that's the planet it could happen on.  Chances are much greater than zero that someone will want to trade for Puig.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Right so that's the planet it could happen on.  Chances are much greater than zero that someone will want to trade for Puig.

Well, we’ll see, at the moment my vote is no, yours is yes, and we’ll see what happens.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

So, you want players who give "100% of (their) 40%." Huh? Not even sure what that is. Or who that is. 

Are you talking about a player who is crappy but tries hard despite being overmatched? Are you advocating the Orioles play Ryan Ripken in the outfield this year?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I really don’t see the downside.... Give him 3.5 this season for 60 games with a $9 million team option. If you can’t trade him during the season he becomes a tradeable asset for the off season. If he still doesn’t have a market and you don’t want/need him then decline the option. Very little to lose and perhaps something worthwhile to gain.

44 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

So, you want players who give "100% of (their) 40%." Huh? Not even sure what that is. Or who that is. 

Are you talking about a player who is crappy but tries hard despite being overmatched? Are you advocating the Orioles play Ryan Ripken in the outfield this year?

Great post! 

with this philosophy they can challenge for the cellar for a longer period.

Sadly Ryan got more of his grandfathers skill set than his brother or uncle.Maybe he will make a good coach someday.