Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

The talk is that Smith and Santander aren’t in camp yet.  Perhaps they will opt out?  Who knows.  And even if Smith is here, who cares if there is no playing time for him?

Stewart deserves a look but Puig doesn’t stop that.  Mountcastle will find at bats at first and DH.

Zero downside to this move.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The talk is that Smith and Santander aren’t in camp yet.  Perhaps they will opt out?  Who knows.  And even if Smith is here, who cares if there is no playing time for him?

Stewart deserves a look but Puig doesn’t stop that.  Mountcastle will find at bats at first and DH.

Zero downside you this move.

Exactly.  Plus, just as a fan who plans on watching at least 50 of the gmes, this will make the summer more enjoyable.  In a lost season, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Not a fan of this move if they make it.  Puig doesn't even seem to be an analytics friendly player.  Not sure what Elias or Sig would be interested in this at all really.  Save the money, let the young guys shuffle through and have their hacks.  Its only 60 games.

LOL. Puig has 19 career WAR. Wilkerson and Dwight Smith JR have career negative WAR.  I am not sure what analytics you have been looking at.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they have tested positive for covid 19.  

If you can get him for beans, do it.  We got guys like Dwight Smith and Stewart... never worry about blocking players like that.  And with Mancini out for the year, ya gotta present a legitimate major league team.  Puig is almost certainly not the next Nelson Cruz, but he's a decent ML starter, and the fans are owed a legitimate product on the field.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Not a fan of this move if they make it.  Puig doesn't even seem to be an analytics friendly player.  Not sure what Elias or Sig would be interested in this at all really.  Save the money, let the young guys shuffle through and have their hacks.  Its only 60 games.

This save the money thing... why assume any money they save this year is going to be spent on future years? 

I'm not going to say that playing Puig is going to raise revenue, but I think playing guys like Dwight Smith and others like him - will end up in continued loss of fan base and loss of revenue.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

This save the money thing... why assume any money they save this year is going to be spent on future years? 

I'm not going to say that playing Puig is going to raise revenue, but I think playing guys like Dwight Smith and others like him - will end up in continued loss of fan base and loss of revenue.    

I just think they should be spending as efficiently as possible and this doesn't seem to be that efficient.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The talk is that they are quarantined right now.

22 minutes ago, atomic said:

LOL. Puig has 19 career WAR. Wilkerson and Dwight Smith JR have career negative WAR.  I am not sure what analytics you have been looking at.

The one's that say he's averaged only 1.86 WAR since 2015, after he busted onto the scene in 2013-2014.  And that includes a 3.4 WAR 2017.  His dWAR has also been in the negatives the last two seasons. Only a .330 OBP and .792 OPS since the end of 2014 as well, so not much of an on base guy, nor an elite power hitter.  Not bad, but I just don't think he's worth spending money on in a rebuild.  There's been reports too that he's a hot head and not the best teammate

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1