Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I love watching Puig play and he is only 29.

Spening on a guy in hopes of building trade value is an interesting move for a rebuilding club.

Would be a nice cudgel against the anti-ownership people who say the Orioles are cheap.

Interesting 

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Spening on a guy in hopes of building trade value is an interesting move for a rebuilding club.

Would be a nice cudgel against the anti-ownership people who say the Orioles are cheap.

I love the idea of trying to sign Puig. He is an exciting, talented player.

But I could not care one bit less about a using "cudgel" against certain fans. What's the point?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It does sound like the type of move they would have made fifteen years ago under Peter.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It does sound like the type of move they would have made fifteen years ago under Peter.

Nah, there is at least some upside for this move. Peter wouldn't have targeted Puig for another 6 or 7 years, see Sosa, Sammy.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gtown said:

Puig is a buy low, potential trade chip if he gets hot. Why not? With Mancini out, he's not really blocking anyone right now. 

Can't imagine someone would give up much of anything for thirty days of good hitting Puig

Rather they just wait the 7 days and put Mountcastle in Left or give Diaz a shot

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Can't imagine someone would give up much of anything for thirty days of good hitting Puig

Rather they just wait the 7 days and put Mountcastle in Left or give Diaz a shot

O's would be trading Puig to a contender so it would be 60 days including the playoffs that the acquiring team would get.   Some teams may lose players to injuries including COVID.

Of course the down side is that Puig gets injured or sick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

A team might see a chance to win a World Series. And then a power-hitting, middle-of-the-order outfielder falls ill...

Some team might give up something of value. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Unless a first place team suddenly has one or more key players test positive or opt out of the rest of the season. It's a roll of the dice, but pretty low risk for the Orioles.