Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Great post! 
with this philosophy they can challenge for the cellar for a longer period.

Sadly Ryan got more of his grandfathers skill set than his brother or uncle.Maybe he will make a good coach someday.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

I want someone who always gives 100% of his 40%, and not someone who occasionally gives 40% of his hundred percent.

Hey, my man, Philip: Are these the guys we call "gamers?"

6 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

So, you want players who give "100% of (their) 40%." Huh? Not even sure what that is. Or who that is. 

Are you talking about a player who is crappy but tries hard despite being overmatched? Are you advocating the Orioles play Ryan Ripken in the outfield this year?

I’m sorry it wasn’t clear for you. Yes it means that a player with less raw ability compensates. After all would you rather have someone who is a genius when he tries hard but frequently doesn’t? Or someone who is average at best, but is always doing his best and is therefore always average?

Have you really never heard that before? “He gives 100% of his 40%”? Well, that’s what it means.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I am assuming he knows the answer to this and is simply writing the piece for the casual fan who has heard we have this awesome prospect waiting in the wings.

16 hours ago, Philip said:

It COULD. That is, the chances are greater than zero. But it’s extremely unlikely given his past, which is the past of a talented guy with issues. But consider this:  teams at the deadline who need a talented outfielder will have a plethora of choices. If I am the manager, the last person I want is someone who may decide at a random time, for a random reason, not to hustle. I want someone who always gives 100% of his 40%, and not someone who occasionally gives 40% of his hundred percent.

Well obviously it depends on what the 40% and 100% are, doesn't it? If we have a guy who's a 40 (scouting) runner, but always runs at 40 speed, that's less valuable than an 80 runner who sometimes runs like a 35 on routine groundouts.

17 hours ago, Anonsnides said:

2 of the links you provided are about the same incident, and there aren't many many more.

The video I posted provided dozens of examples of him hustling.

Not to mention the fact that Puig has been maligned by the media since he was called up by the Dodgers

Sorry, he brings this on his shelf. Yes, he is a easy target, he gives them stuff for them to write about.

My point through this all. We had a potential HOF here, and when the few times he got lazy. He was ripped apart here in OH.

We expect our guys to always play at 100%, which is totally unrealistic, but still a goal.

Yes, Puig is a very talented guy, and over 6 seasons of big league ball, lots of times he has played well, his WAR supports that to a degree.

For me personally, there are just way too many of the lost focus, show boating and lack of hustle for me to get too worked up over.

If he signs here, then I will root for him to do well, salute his good plays, and moan about his bad. :)

• Upvote 1

In skimming through the replies in this thread I really think the majority of you are reading way too much into the team's interest in Puig. They're not deep at OF (not good depth at least) and are probably just looking for a cheap one year placeholder to bridge the gap to their higher level prospects like Diaz. What's the problem with that move? And I for one would be a lot more interested in watching games with Puig on the team. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well in a season when we'll be fortunate to win 15 games, it doesn't matter.  This board also wants every player ever to be Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson or Cal Ripken and thinks its realistic for every player ever to haul ass up the first base line cause, darnit, that's what we'd do!

Manny was a great player. Great.

31 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In skimming through the replies in this thread I really think the majority of you are reading way too much into the team's interest in Puig. They're not deep at OF (not good depth at least) and are probably just looking for a cheap one year placeholder to bridge the gap to their higher level prospects like Diaz. What's the problem with that move? And I for one would be a lot more interested in watching games with Puig on the team. 

That's pretty much my take on a Puig signing. What interests me is if the Orioles could sign Puig through 2021 and then trade him next year for more DSL prospects. 

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Well obviously it depends on what the 40% and 100% are, doesn't it? If we have a guy who's a 40 (scouting) runner, but always runs at 40 speed, that's less valuable than an 80 runner who sometimes runs like a 35 on routine groundouts.

The point remains valid. I’ve made my thoughts known, if you think he’s a worthwhile pickup, that’s fine too.