Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Come to think of it - with Markakis taking himself out, and the NL using the DH this year, Puig would probably make a lot more sense for a team like the Braves.  Then they don't have to play a poor fielder like Ozuna or DuVall in RF.  And they don't have to rush 21 year olds Pache and Waters.    

I honestly said that before hearing anything about him possibly going to the Braves.  What I'm trying to say is... Damn I'm good!

• Upvote 3

Just now, ScGO's said:

Dodged a bullet there

A little hyperbolic don't you think?  I'm totally fine with not signing him, but one year and a max of 60 games of Puig would not have been something that required dodging.  My guess is when Santander was cleared, they realized they didn't need him anymore.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Oh well.  It was nice to think about, but doesn't really have much of an effect on anything.  Hopefully Mountcastle and Diaz can get some ABs this year.

My guess is Ryan will be up fairly soon into the season. I hope we see Diaz in September, not getting my hopes up.

When they showed interest in Puig I thought maybe Santander would be out even longer. 

I think it gunks up the rebuild.  Gets in the way developing young guys who might still be here next year.  Puig is a nothing burger on a team like ours in a situation like ours.  Let Mountcastle, Hays, Stewart, Santander, Smith, Diaz, Wilkerson, Williams get there hacks through 60 games.  They should teat this as a year to strictly evaluate the younger talent as they lost all the milb seasons.  Save the money. With the lost season, we are in a position where we probably shouldn't make our first big FA splash until 2022

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My guess is Ryan will be up fairly soon into the season. I hope we see Diaz in September, not getting my hopes up.

When they showed interest in Puig I thought maybe Santander would be out even longer. 

Same re: Santander. Hopefully Mountcastle will get a chance to show he belongs in left field, with Santander in right field.  Diaz waiting in the wings, with the possibility that Mountcastle or Santander get some starts at DH.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No roster expansion in September this year.   In fact, it keeps dropping

Opening Day -- 30 man roster

August 7 -- 28 man roster

August 21 -- 26 man roster for the rest of the season

So the only way guys will come up is if guys get hurt, or if there is a guy being kept down artificially for some period of time for service time or some other reason.   (Or for a "Bowie Shuttle" to bring up fresh pitchers).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I think it gunks up the rebuild.  Gets in the way developing young guys who might still be here next year.  Puig is a nothing burger on a team like ours in a situation like ours.  Let Mountcastle, Hays, Stewart, Santander, Smith, Diaz, Wilkerson, Williams get there hacks through 60 games.  They should teat this as a year to strictly evaluate the younger talent as they lost all the milb seasons.  Save the money. With the lost season, we are in a position where we probably shouldn't make our first big FA splash until 2022

Mason Williams is only 8 months younger than Puig, don't need to see any more, he is who he is. Likewise with Wilkerson and Smith.

Looking forward to the other five guys getting hopefully all of the playing time in the outfield and hopefully some at first and DH.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

Oh stop. They are literally practicing with ghost outfielders because they don't have anyone to play the position.

Stop? Puig takes 200-250 ABs away from the others.  Why is Hayes, Santander, Stewart, Mountcastle, Diaz, Williams, Smith Jr, Wilkerson, Velasquez not enough?  I'd even give McKenna some hacks.  Signing Puig is a Duquette Era move, not blaming Dan as he was handcuffed, but this is suppose to be a different team with a different, more pragmatic and proactive approach, than the team Dan had.

• Upvote 1