Guess the Opening Day Lineup

Yardball85

Wow, we are literally ONE WEEK from actual baseball (fingers crossed).  I thought it would be fun to put some guesses together for the Orioles opening night lineup against, I'm assuming, right hander Nathan Eovaldi.  Since we have not had any ST games, I feel like a lot of our guesses will be shots in the dark.

CF Hays

LF Stewart

RF Santander

DH  Nunez

1B Davis

C   Severino

3B Ruiz

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

SP Means

Whad'ya say?

6 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Wow, we are literally ONE WEEK from actual baseball (fingers crossed).  I thought it would be fun to put some guesses together for the Orioles opening night lineup against, I'm assuming, right hander Nathan Eovaldi.  Since we have not had any ST games, I feel like a lot of our guesses will be shots in the dark.

CF Hays

LF Stewart

RF Santander

DH  Nunez

1B Davis

C   Severino

3B Ruiz

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

SP Means

Whad'ya say?

Swap Alberto for Wilkerson if they are facing a righty and I agree with the rest.

39 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

That's fair.  Or Alberto for Velazquez, ho bats switch.

I'd rather keep Alberto at 2B and see how he does vs RHP for a while. Put Wilkerson or Velazquez in LF and push DJ to the bench. I really want an OF that can catch the ball. 

Alberto 2B

Hays CF 

Nunez DH

Santander RF

Davis 1B

Iglesias SS

Ruiz 3B

Severino C

Velazquez LF

18 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

CF Hays

LF Stewart

RF Santander

DH  Nunez

1B Davis

C   Severino

3B Ruiz

2B Alberto

SS Iglesias

SP Means

Whad'ya say?

Why Ruiz before Alberto? Alberto hits better, doesn’t he?

I don’t have any argument about the list. Eovaldi is a righty, so maybe someone else instead of Alberto at second?  But I don’t know who that would be.

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t have any argument about the list. Eovaldi is a righty, so maybe someone else instead of Alberto at second?  But I don’t know who that would be.

I am sure he's thinking about alternating lefty-righty to prevent teams from bringing in a LOOGY on Ruiz.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:08 AM, Philip said:

Alternating right lefty, and Alberto is much worse against righties (Eovaldi).  If the Orioles were facing a lefty, such as EROD who was supposed to pitch, I'd hit Alberto leadoff.

Also just a fun exercise, didn't put too much thought into it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:24 AM, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather keep Alberto at 2B and see how he does vs RHP for a while. Put Wilkerson or Velazquez in LF and push DJ to the bench. I really want an OF that can catch the ball. 

I would rather not have a backup shortstop at an offensive position like left-field. DJ Stewart is not a butcher out there, despite a memorable slip and fall.

The difference between Kyle Schwarber and Tommy Phan or Marcell Ozuna was 5 runs over a full season. That is probably what you would be looking at between Stewart and Velazquez.

Yes, Wilkerson had that great catch last year, but statistically, there is no evidence that he is even an average defensive outfielder. I would much rather see Stewart out there.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would rather not have a backup shortstop at an offensive position like left-field. DJ Stewart is not a butcher out there, despite a memorable slip and fall.

The difference between Kyle Schwarber and Tommy Phan or Marcell Ozuna was 5 runs over a full season. That is probably what you would be looking at between Stewart and Velazquez.

Yes, Wilkerson had that great catch last year, but statistically, there is no evidence that he is even an average defensive outfielder. I would much rather see Stewart out there.

You are probably right, especially if we are playing for the future. If DJ has any chance of a future in MLB, this is the time to prove it. I am concerned that he has already proven he doesn't have a future in MLB. Still, I would also like to see what Alberto can do vs RHP and get a look at Velazquez too.