Big announcement on the future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Regarding OH, I agree and I hope for lots of peeps sake, the website persists. But I totally understand Tony’s apprehension. This is in your face politics from sports, and that is a stain. It would be the same thing regardless which way it leaned.

Here’s my thing.... and believe this. My voice matters too. Just because someone doesn’t support #BLM doesn’t mean they don’t believe that black lives matter. 

#BLM is a political party. MLB is openly politicizing the sport. That is an atrocity. 

It's not a political party.  It's a movement.  Name any movement that doesn't have parts of it or people in it that you don't take issue with.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It's not a political party.  It's a movement.  Name any movement that doesn't have parts of it or people in it that you don't take issue with.

They should make a move to clean up their dirty, crime infested neighborhoods first.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Do we also lead the world in black people killing one another? I'm not sure, because you didn't mention that.

Do you not understand that there is a big difference between citizens killing citizens vs those that are supposed to protect the citizens killing citizens?  I don't know a single black person that doesn't have tons more scary encounters with the police than I do.  And all it takes is that black person having a bad day and being a bit pissed off that they are being harassed yet again for something awful to happen.  That's a stress that no one should have to live with and one that we as a society should be hellbent on snuffing out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

This is pretty pathetic grandstanding. But cool, Tony. Thank you for everything you've done for this site. I've enjoyed it for a long time. But if somehow you took "Hates Police Officers" as the message of the Black Lives Matter movement, you couldn't have missed the point any more. 

So long. 

So long.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

They should make a move to clean up their dirty, crime infested neighborhoods first.

With poverty and joblessness comes crime regardless of the color of the people in the neighborhood.  I remember in the 90's when there was criticism of education being ridiculed in the black community.  Now a large portion of the GOP denigrates education in the same way.  

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Do you not understand that there is a big difference between citizens killing citizens vs those that are supposed to protect the citizens killing citizens?  I don't know a single black person that doesn't have tons more scary encounters with the police than I do.  And all it takes is that black person having a bad day and being a bit pissed off that they are being harassed yet again for something awful to happen.  That's a stress that no one should have to live with and one that we as a society should be hellbent on snuffing out.

Don't you understand the big difference in numbers of how many times each happens?

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The actual organization BLM is funded by some individuals, if you follow the money trail, not to mention founded by marxist, with sole intent of taking down the US Government.

Which makes them a terrorist organization, trying to hide behind a social injustice to accomplish their goal.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

With poverty and joblessness comes crime regardless of the color of the people in the neighborhood.  I remember in the 90's when there was criticism of education being ridiculed in the black community.  Now a large portion of the GOP denigrates education in the same way.  

I guess welfare policies didn't win the war on poverty

I didn't make this clear in my previous post, but I want the Hangout to continue to exist. I respect whatever decision Tony makes, but I value this site (despite the fact I've become mostly a lurker since 2019) as a place I've always enjoyed reading about and participating in discussions about O's baseball.

Seeing it go would be a crying shame. Literally. I'm sure some posters are way more invested in the site than me and would cry at the loss of this site.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The actual organization ... (insert political discussion here)

2 hours ago, weams said:

Yeah. The open politics forum here is now closed. Lets tone the whole discussion down and wait for Tony to tell you what he intends to do. 

?

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The actual organization BLM is funded by some individuals, if you follow the money trail, not to mention founded by marxist, with sole intent of taking down the US Government.

Which makes them a terrorist organization, trying to hide behind a social injustice to accomplish their goal.

Good lord please get out of the damn rabbit holes.  Black Lives Matter was formed because people wanted to bring attention to the fact that black lives were being extinguished and not enough seemed to care.  Yes some of the founders had some other beliefs, but it doesn't mean you can't have two beliefs at once.      It wasn't all some big cover to create a new world order.  Those that support the movement aren't supporting marxism.

Just now, baltfan said:

Good lord please get out of the damn rabbit holes.  Black Lives Matter was formed because people wanted to bring attention to the fact that black lives were being extinguished and not enough seemed to care.  Yes some of the founders had some other beliefs, but it doesn't mean you can't have two beliefs at once.      It wasn't all some big cover to create a new world order.  Those that support the movement aren't supporting marxism.

And this is a fallacy, with no eventual support. BLM is a joke.

• Downvote 1