Mike Yastrzemski

milbest77

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was Elias who shipped him out, right? He is 3-3 so far tonight and coming off a breakout season. I hope this move doesn’t become J.D. Martinez part 2 (those who read Astroball will get the reference).

1 minute ago, milbest77 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was Elias who shipped him out, right? He is 3-3 so far tonight and coming off a breakout season. I hope this move doesn’t become J.D. Martinez part 2 (those who read Astroball will get the reference).

Yep. Traded for Tyler Herb in March 2019. In fairness, DD and Showalter never gave him a shot either.

He turns 30 in a month - so not really a young fella the rebuilding O's would be looking to build around. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The O's have bigger problems lol.

But, fun player. Definitely a guy who keeps me up late to check in on him when he's playing on the West Coast.

• Upvote 4

Its easy to say that you would like to have Mike Yastrzemski now.   What were you saying in the off season of 2018-2019?

Mike Elias did not make a mistake in trading Yaz.    He had Mancini, Hays, Santander, Stewart, plus Dwight Smith had a 1400 OPS in ST last year.  Yaz was 28, did not hit in the little time he got on 2019 ST and Elias decided rather then option a 28 year old that was not part of the O's next contending team to AAA , he would trade him.   

There are moves that Elias has made that I disagree with  and I did support Yaz getting a chance.   But I am not questioning if Elias made the right decision to trade him.  Good for Yaz for making good on his opportunity with the Giants.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I would rather have him than Dwight Smith Jr and DJ Stewart.

Don't forget Mullins. It always struck me as short sighted. Always. The numbers were never great, but they weren't bad either. The guy can do alot of things. Oh well... 

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its easy to say that you would like to have Mike Yastrzemski now.   What were you saying in the off season of 2018-2019?

Mike Elias did not make a mistake in trading Yaz.    He had Mancini, Hays, Santander, Stewart, plus Dwight Smith had a 1400 OPS in ST last year.  Yaz was 28, did not hit in the little time he got on 2019 ST and Elias decided rather then option a 28 year old that was not part of the O's next contending team to AAA , he would trade him.   

There are moves that Elias has made that I disagree with  and I did support Yaz getting a chance.   But I am not questioning if Elias made the right decision to trade him.  Good for Yaz for making good on his opportunity with the Giants.

You can't say that without changing organizations Yaz would've put up the numbers he has with the Giants had he been given the chance with the O's.  Sometimes that "change of scenery" is exactly what a player needs.  It just is.

2 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

You can't say that without changing organizations Yaz would've put up the numbers he has with the Giants had he been given the chance with the O's.  Sometimes that "change of scenery" is exactly what a player needs.  It just is.

I didn't say anything like that.

You can't be ecstatic about finding diamonds in the rough and finding enjoyment in guys like Melvin Mora, Miguel Gonzalez, Rodrigo Lopez, Jeremy Guthrie, etc., and then never let down that Mike Yastrzemski got away.  Baseball is littered throughout history of guys that never did accomplished anything in one place, some times multiple places, without reaping the rewards of someone else's "mistake."  The Orioles have been in the right plenty of times with micro transactions, why this is the one that people still complain about I don't get it.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Yep. Traded for Tyler Herb in March 2019. In fairness, DD and Showalter never gave him a shot either.

He turns 30 in a month - so not really a young fella the rebuilding O's would be looking to build around. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The O's have bigger problems lol.

But, fun player. Definitely a guy who keeps me up late to check in on him when he's playing on the West Coast.

I loved watching him in Bowie. To me, and my unprofessional eye, he was always in movement, hustling, trying to make something happen, he had that intagiable.

@Tony-OH who knows way more about scouting than I pretend to, loved his attitude and makeup, but didnt think he had the skillset to do more than be a 4A backup COF. He was not alone in that assessment.

Im glad to see him doing well.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

You can't be ecstatic about finding diamonds in the rough and finding enjoyment in guys like Melvin Mora, Miguel Gonzalez, Rodrigo Lopez, Jeremy Guthrie, etc., and then never let down that Mike Yastrzemski got away.  Baseball is littered throughout history of guys that never did accomplished anything in one place, some times multiple places, without reaping the rewards of someone else's "mistake."  The Orioles have been in the right plenty of times with micro transactions, why this is the one that people still complain about I don't get it.

I’m thinking most folks are still hung up on Arrieta. But, I agree about change of scenery. It’s just that Yaz was never given a chance here. That would be on the previous regime more than the current one, I suppose.