Orioles Fall on Opening Day

Bahama O's Fan

This was always going to be a very long season.

Coronavirus has shortened the full, long season considerably for us.

IMO, the Os benefit as much as anyone from the new season given the reduced cost of payrolls and what would have been low, meager gate attendance (receipts).  

On the other hand, one major negative is the inability to get quality major league experiences to our younger guys who played at higher levels last year - Mountcastle, Baumann, Lowther, Akin and a couple others Kremer, Zimm, etc.

Let's just get to last place (and the first pick in next year's draft) and get this season over with.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree with the people who mentioned that Hyde doesn’t anticipate The need to change pitchers. Milone was great for 2+ innings, but Hyde should have expected what happened and been prepared.

Santander should have caught that first double.

Hays should have had a double, but for Pillar’s excellent defense.

How was Stewart in LF? He had an accurate throw back into the infield, but it looked like it was losing steam fast. A lot of Red Sox doubles were hit to LF, though. Would Mclouth have caught them?

Well, Nate's 38 and has been out of baseball since 2014 so I'm guessing he probably wouldn't have been making a lot of plays.

BTW I love how your expert enough that you can diagnose the loss of velocity on a single throw from the outfield. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Any of us on this page love baseball, and love the Orioles..even if they dont always love us. But even despite the blowout , I couldn't stay with the game for very long. The lack of crowd and energy exposes baseball's oldest criticism...it DID seem slow and plodding. The dirty little secret about sports is that the sound and passion of the crowd at any event elevates the excitement and anticipation. Neither was part of opening night. Yes, the Orioles were awful, but in truth, without the crowd, every game to me feels like an intraquad game in Dunedin,Florida in March.Hard to watch. I think the TV numbers might be big for a week or two...but will dramatically drop off after the curiosity fades.

Spot on.  I felt the same way.  It was tough to get through on all levels.  

This is one of the worst looking O’s rosters in my 30 years of fandom. I admire Elias’ fiscal discipline and am a proponent of the full rebuild, but good lord I hope next years team is not this ugly. What a motley collection of AAA and AAAA talent. I didn’t realize how much I would miss Mancini. 

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

This is one of the worst looking O’s rosters in my 30 years of fandom. I admire Elias’ fiscal discipline and am a proponent of the full rebuild, but good lord I hope next years team is not this ugly. What a motley collection of AAA and AAAA talent. I didn’t realize how much I would miss Mancini. 

Judging from what we have seen from him I wouldn't expect next season's opening day roster to include to high or middle ranked prospects.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Diaz being the only highly though of guy (only including two pitchers) brought up at all.

Hopefully we won't see a work stoppage in 2022.

I realize the O's are not good but at least get players who can field.  Santander has no business being out there if he can't get to that misplayed double.  Milone looks like another bum in a long list of free agent starting pitchers signed by the O's.   Oh well, it was only 1 game.  Well, actually 2.7 games with the shortened season. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I will continue to not watch games as long as they are blacked out. I am willing and able to purchase MLB.tv to view them but I’m not giving Comcast $175/mo like I was paying just to have baseball on TV.

Was the O's/Red Sox game blacked out on MLB/TV last night?

34 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You know the rule: Buy the arms, grow the bats.

Isn’t that backwards? A good arm is more rare and expensive than a good bat. It might be more difficult for a good arm to Develop into a great arm, so the attrition rate During development might be greater, but a glance at the bats we’ve drafted Recently Doesn’t reveal any treasures. The best one was a flyer we took with the 249th pick.