Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

1 minute ago, VaBird1 said:

He is one of many that makes sense.  They have 41 people who would make the Orioles top 25 on FanGraphs prospect list.

It was sarcasm.  I don't think we're going to get anything significant for a middle reliever.

Once again, the OH will pout and whine that we didn't get a star prospect for someone that we've overrated.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, VaBird1 said:

He is one of many that makes sense.  They have 41 people who would make the Orioles top 25 on FanGraphs prospect list.

I don't see how he makes sense.

The Marlins aren't going to cut bait on a guy they spent five million on.  This is Bleier we are talking about, and the Marlins.  They aren't contenders and he isn't a valuable piece.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was sarcasm.  I don't think we're going to get anything significant for a middle reliever.

Once again, the OH will pout and whine that we didn't get a star prospect for someone that we've overrated.  

At least you didn't accuse some of "us" as "clutching pearls".  It's very manly to pout and whine.  However, if a lady does, she is a bee atch!  (oops, is that "political"?). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Marlins aren't going to cut bait on a guy they spent five million on.  This is Bleier we are talking about, and the Marlins.  They aren't contenders and he isn't a valuable piece.

He isn’t a very highly rated prospect, is old and unlikely to be a significant major leaguer.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Nah, anybody worth while, they will just promote to their parent club. :) :) :)

Bleier trade continues to bite the O's last night.  Fry  could not find the plate especially against right-handed batters. Needing to face three batter in not Fry's game.    It didn't affect the outcome because the O's didin't  hit.  However, Fry does not look up to being the 2nd lefties in the pen  which shows how much the O's miss Bleier.  Fry would be a candidate to be sent down but there is no lefty to replace him so he will probably stay in the majors.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bleier trade continues to bite the O's last night.  Fry  could not find the plate especially against right-handed batters. Needing to face three batter in not Fry's game.    It didn't affect the outcome because the O's didin't  hit.  However, Fry does not look up to being the 2nd lefties in the pen  which shows how much the O's miss Bleier.  Fry would be a candidate to be sent down but there is no lefty to replace him so he will probably stay in the majors.

"Continues"?  When did it previously "bite the O's"?  Also as  you said, it didn't cost the O's the game.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

"Continues"?  When did it previously "bite the O's"?  Also as  you said, it didn't cost the O's the game.

No one player has bitten us in years. I let go of my hate for Coby Rasmus. So we could use that argument for everything. Bleier at least has had success with the O’s. Fry has been given a plethora of chances, and has shown zero reliability. At best, Fry is a B squad LOOGY that you keep on your 40 man as a 3rd lefty. 

Bleier got traded because he was going to be in arbitration next offseason. Realistically he wasn’t going to build up any trade value in a short season. So Elias dumped him now versus non tendering, or giving him away if he did have success, next offseason. 

Even when this team was 5-3, with a 30 man roster, and 8 teams making the playoffs... it’s clear that Elias’ goal was to dump payroll. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Fry has reverse platoon splits. .233/.324/.305 vs. righties, .263/.369/.444 vs lefties.

Bleier is a more normal .304/.333/.453 vs righties and .226/.272/.312 vs lefties.

Both have faced a lot more righties than lefties in their career, so they were not really being hidden before the 3 batter rule. Fry is actually much better than Bleier against righties. Bleier is more of a loogy that would probably not take as well to the 3 batter rule since there are likely more righties in any given lineup.

Even if you want to ignore Bleier's bad year last year, in none of his good years was he better than Fry's career 628 OPS against righties.

Obviously both are small samples, 97 and 177 career innings, but we were using 3 innings as a trend above so...

I'm not saying Fry is all that great, he needs to do better for sure, but if he's not great against lefties I'm not sure his handedness is what's keeping him around. If they really want a loogy they should call up Zastryzny.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, makoman said:

Fry has reverse platoon splits. .233/.324/.305 vs. righties, .263/.369/.444 vs lefties.

Bleier is a more normal .304/.333/.453 vs righties and .226/.272/.312 vs lefties.

Both have faced a lot more righties than lefties in their career, so they were not really being hidden before the 3 batter rule. Fry is actually much better than Bleier against righties. Bleier is more of a loogy that would probably not take as well to the 3 batter rule since there are likely more righties in any given lineup.

Even if you want to ignore Bleier's bad year last year, in none of his good years was he better than Fry's career 628 OPS against righties.

Obviously both are small samples, 97 and 177 career innings, but we were using 3 innings as a trend above so...

I'm not saying Fry is all that great, he needs to do better for sure, but if he's not great against lefties I'm not sure his handedness is what's keeping him around. If they really want a loogy they should call up Zastryzny.

Well and I’ll argue that Bleier was used in higher leverage situations against better parts of lineups. Fry has always been on the b squad. Fry has never really been a reliever we have gone to while winning in a close game. Bleier had done that before in his career. 

Fry is your classic guy that comes in when you’re down and the other team has mailed it in. He’s done just enough to keep having chances handed to him by the worst team in MLB the last few seasons. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well and I’ll argue that Bleier was used in higher leverage situations against better parts of lineups. Fry has always been on the b squad. Fry has never really been a reliever we have gone to while winning in a close game. Bleier had done that before in his career. 

Fry is your classic guy that comes in when you’re down and the other team has mailed it in. He’s done just enough to keep having chances handed to him by the worst team in MLB the last few seasons. 

Actually, it’s Bleier that has been used primarily in low leverage situations in his career. 465 career PAs at low, 144 medium, 127 high. He has been excellent at high leverage however, 567 OPS against (vs 652 medium, 744 low).

Fry has a similar career amount in high leverage, 116 PAs. But just 94 at medium and 216 low, so a much higher proportion at high leverage. But while Bleier did his best work at high leverage, Fry was the opposite: 754 OPS against high, 748 medium, 668 low. So Bleier has stepped it up in more important situations, if that's a thing, or maybe over time it will even out.

edit: all from BR, I don't know if that's the best place to measure leverage.

• Upvote 1