I’ll take that club option at 3 mil

ChuckS

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

He won’t hit like this forever but I’m enjoying it while he does. 

He's worth the three mil for the defense alone. 

I thought we were getting a nothing bat.  He won't keep hitting like this but given how he finished last season, hit in spring training, and has continued hitting into the season, I have some hopes he can provide some better offense than his career line suggests. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

It’s way early but Jose Iglesias seems like one of our best free agent acquisitions in awhile.

Too early. Like, way too early.

however....it’s better to be great early than terrible early like(insert your choice of a vast number of names)

He's an all-glove SS with a career .690 OPS and 84 wRC+.  He at least puts the ball in play more often than not with a .274 BA and 12.2 K%  I would still take the option for the benefit his defense gives to our pitching staff, and that we have no SS prospect knocking at the door. 

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I thought we were getting a nothing bat.  He won't keep hitting like this but given how he finished last season, hit in spring training, and has continued hitting into the season, I have some hopes he can provide some better offense than his career line suggests. 

I don't think the option was ever in doubt. For the D alone. The fact that he's hitting, even if it's a SSS, is just gravy.

7 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He's an all-glove SS with a career .690 OPS and 84 wRC+.  He at least puts the ball in play more often than not with a .274 BA and 12.2 K%  I would still take the option for the benefit his defense gives to our pitching staff, and that we have no SS prospect knocking at the door. 

And this is the real key.  Who else is going to play at SS right now?  Any legit SS prospect we have is likely 2 years away, at least.  

Henderson probably moves to third eventually.  Servideo has to prove he can hit.  Outside of that, you are talking about intl FA players and guys like that who could end up on the radar but that’s obviously years away.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I'd still Pipp him or Alberto if Franklin Barreto could be had on reasonable terms and left alone to play six solid weeks to see what happens.

I still have fond memories of that time Ray Knight hit .600 for awhile as a new O.

Certainly no issues if you can land someone like that and give them a chance.   

But until that occurs, it’s nice to know you have something to stabilize the position at a cheap price.  He’s not anything great but he’s good enough to be a bridge.

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Too early. Like, way too early.

however....it’s better to be great early than terrible early like(insert your choice of a vast number of names)

How?  It's not like there's a lot of competition for being "one of our best free agent acquisitions in awhile".  Even if he wasn't hitting like he has been, he's a legit starting shortstop - which we needed - and he's relatively cheap.    

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

How?  It's not like there's a lot of competition for being "one of our best free agent acquisitions in awhile".  Even if he wasn't hitting like he has been, he's a legit starting shortstop - which we needed - and he's relatively cheap.    

Yes.

so? 
That doesn’t refute anything I said.

The decision to pick up his option or not will not be changed by a ten game stretch. But it’s far better to start hot than cold.

Remember last year Sucre started blazing, and was gone within a month.

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Yep. He’s said how his approach changed last year with the Reds and the influence of Votto. I’m encouraged that can continue. 

However, I had wanted his signing for a couple years just based on his glove. Now, it’s a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I'd still Pipp him or Alberto if Franklin Barreto could be had on reasonable terms and left alone to play six solid weeks to see what happens.

I still have fond memories of that time Ray Knight hit .600 for awhile as a new O.

Ray Knight's monthly OPSes with the Orioles:

April: .920
May: .670
June: .687
July: .598
August: .630
September: .646

If only he'd swapped April and July maybe they could have flipped him at the deadline.