Today might be the best I’ve felt about the Orioles in four years

Frobby

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The back to back outings of Akin and Kremer, and emergence of Mountcastle the last two weeks and even the short outburst of Stewart just has me feeling like maybe this team has a future. 

I could not have said it any better.  You  are exactly how I feel.  Hope the feeling lasts beyond this weekend.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The back to back outings of Akin and Kremer, and emergence of Mountcastle the last two weeks and even the short outburst of Stewart just has me feeling like maybe this team has a future. 

In addition to “upvotes” there should be an “Amen” reaction available, because that’s how I feel.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How did you get a hold of the 2021 schedule already?

Haha.  I thought I saw they actually put it out, though I haven't had reason to look yet.

The NYY/TOR head to heads and the mere need to stay within 3 of the Blue Jays for 58/59/60 to give a puncher's chance.  I'm sitting here wondering do I need to make time Tuesday night (it's the first week of online kindergarten for goodness sakes) to pay attention to a AAAA starter game because there's actually a 40% chance the last weekend could matter?  I mean, the Mets can flub anything, the Braves may steer their backend guys to an Orioles series (heyyy, Tommy Milone).

I was looking for wildcard’s enthusiastic  post, because I think this comment would be best posted there, but this is as good a place as any, I suppose.

This is not the team that started the season, let’s look at the additions and subtractions:

In the position department, we lost Davis( Let Joy be unconfined!)Smith, Hays, Santander, And, on the infield, Iglesias for a time.

We've added Mountcastle, Stewart, Iglesias, Mullins, Velasquez, Williams.

Mountcastle hasn’t been challenged on defense yet, and Stewart had one misplay off the wall that didn’t cost too much. If Stewart is finding his stroke to match his excellent eye, and Mullins and Williams keep contributing on defense, that’s at least equal to the Smith/Hays/Santander  group.

We really missed Iglesias in the infield, but he’s back so the infield is stable. Ruiz is faltering, but Valaika can replace him at 3rd, maybe?

Overall, the position players are a better group.

but the pitching seems to have really improved enough to make a difference in the rest of the season.

If we can go 11 and 10 the rest of the way, we finish at .500. But because we’re playing the Yankees and Blue Jays so much, if we finish 11 and 10 it will be against them in large part, so we could conceivably pass them both, and Yankees have real injury problems, and might be vulnerable.

• Upvote 1

o

The 2017 Orioles had an absolutely atrocious starting rotation ........ but In early September, they somehow played themselves into a 71-68 record before collapsing over the final 23 games of the season.

On September 6th, this wound up being their Swan Song moment of that season (and of their status as a contender since 2012.)

o

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't trust him to.

I had a feeling it was about the time, so checked Posey's B-Ref page.  2020 of course, but if that's who Rutschman is, the corresponding calendar MLB debut date for Adley is...Friday.

That was just a cup of coffee - the next year he wasn't up until Memorial Day.

• Thanks 1