Mountcastle on who was good at Bowie

wildcard

From an interview on "Inside the Yard":

Pitchers: "There's a bunch of studs down there.  You have your Grayson and your DL's but you also have some pretty good other arms down there.   You have  Mattson, Hanhold ...... we have a really bright future coming up.

Position Players: " Diaz was crushing homers just left and right. Gunnar Henderson watching him for how young he is, his approach to the plate, him in the field, he has a cannon for an arm at short looked really good.  McKenna looked pretty good. Adley has a pretty swing, that's for sure"

https://art19.com/shows/baltimore-orioles-inside-the-yard-podcast/episodes/5fe990d7-3a27-4d3f-84c6-c99b2941d95a

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Diaz should probably be up right now but.... where do you play him???

I think he will be treated like Mountcastle.  Probably see him in late April or May.  When they promote him they will make room in the lineup for him.   He is a two way player.  Offense and defense.  So far the only other outfielder that is like that is Santander.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think he will be treated like Mountcastle.  Probably see him in late April or May.  When they promote him they will make room in the lineup for him.   He is a two way player.  Offense and defense.  So far the only other outfielder that is like that is Santander.

Again, where do you play him? He won't start over Santander in RF. And he won't start over Mountcastle in LF. And he can't play CF unless they want to get cute. This arrangement already leaves out Stewart, too. So something has to give.  Diaz is not a platoon player. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Again, where do you play him? He won't start over Santander in RF. And he won't start over Mountcastle in LF. And he can't play CF unless they want to get cute. This arrangement already leaves out Stewart, too. So something has to give.  Diaz is not a platoon player. 

My guess.  Initially, probably LF.   Mountcastle does not have the defensive ability of Diaz.   Santander  and Diaz may switch RF and LF later.   Diaz has better speed and probably a stronger arm.

Mountcastle to 1B/DH.   Stewart backup COF/DH.   With the number of injuries that happen during the season a winning team needs depth to fill in.  I think you will see Stewart rotate through LF/RF/DH giving players rest.

Hays and Mullins share CF.   I think Nunez is traded.

If Mancini is the Mancini of 2019 he is the 1B/DH. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess.  Initially, probably LF.   Mountcastle does not have the defensive ability of Diaz.   Santander  and Diaz may switch RF and LF later.   Diaz has better speed and probably a stronger arm.

Mountcastle to 1B/DH.   Stewart backup COF/DH.   With the number of injuries that happen during the season a winning team needs depth to fill in.  I think you will see Stewart rotate through LF/RF/DH giving players rest.

Hays and Mullins share CF.   I think Nunez is traded.

If Mancini is the Mancini of 2019 he is the 1B/DH. 

I'll buy this, but it still seems weird to have Mountcastle focus so hard on LF only to be like sike you're playing 1B. And even then, it assumes Mancini isn't back. 

I agree that Nunez probably has to go. If Stewart continues his success, I'd rather him as a DH anyway due to the walks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'll buy this, but it still seems weird to have Mountcastle focus so hard on LF only to be like sike you're playing 1B. And even then, it assumes Mancini isn't back. 

I agree that Nunez probably has to go. If Stewart continues his success, I'd rather him as a DH anyway due to the walks.

If Mountcastle can rake, don't do anything to disrupt him.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

When Hyde was in Chicago Madden cycled players around the field.   Had them play several positions and kept everyone involved.   I can see Hyde doing that.

Mountcastle and Mancini can switch between 1B and DH.  Stewart can play some DH as well and LF and RF so no-one is playing everyday and everyone gets rest.

Mountcastle is playing LF because that is spot the O's need help.   Its where the At Bats are.  But add Diaz to the mix in late April/early May, trade Nunez and release Davis the OF defense is stronger with Diaz in an OF corner spot.  Now the at bats are at 1B/DH for Mountcastle/Mancini.

Hays is capable of playing all 3 outfield positions.  Hyde may move him around as well.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When Hyde was in Chicago Madden cycled players around field.   Had them play several positions and kept everyone involved.   I can see Hyde doing that.

Mountcastle and Mancini can switch between 1B and DH.  Stewart can play some DH as well and LF and RF so no-one is playing everyday and everyone gets rest.

Mountcastle is playing LF because that is spot the O's need help.   Its where the At Bats are.  But add Diaz to the mix in late April/early May and trade Nunez and release Davis the OF defense is stronger with Diaz in an OF corner spot.  Now the at bats are at 1B/DH for Mountcastle/Mancini.

7 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Works for me.  Nunez and Ruiz aren't things.  We all love Trey... but who knows what happens there.  Plenty of other OF options and RM started as an infielder anyway.

Ruiz is having a nice September.   I think he still has a little rope left.  Not giving up on him yet.  In wait and see mode.