Santander may odd man out in 2021 or 2022

ofan239

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Palmer played along side of many of the better Oriole pitchers. He said Bedard at that time had the best stuff of any Left Hander Starter that he had seen pitch for the Birds.

Not sure I would agree that it was the best, but I have to agree he has some nasty stuff, and if not the best, 2nd or 3rd isnt bad company to be in.

I usually guesstimate a guy coming back from TJ "successfully" to be 85-95% of his old self, and for rookie Bedard (albeit an old 25) to have kept his head above water all year in the show having just 20 some minors innings after his was a good trick.

Reminding myself of his minors track, for the first time it occurred to me to compare...

Bowie Bedard 2002 (43 hits in 68.2 innings) with....

Bowie Baumann 2019 (45 hits in 70 innings)

Also...so old, and from northern latitudes (birthplaces at least)!

Even if we're having TJ today, we can still get 20 2022 starts, right?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Jim Palmer played along side of many of the better Oriole pitchers. He said Erik Bedard at that time had the best stuff of any Left-Handed Starter that he had ever seen pitch for the Orioles.

I'm not sure I would agree that it was the best, but I have to agree that he had some nasty stuff. If it wasn't the best, he was probably the 2nd or 3rd best ...... which isn't bad company to be in.

o

My cousins are Yankee fans that grew up in West Springfield, VA. They said that the Orioles pitcher that drove them crazy more than anyone was Mike Cuellar. The Orioles batter that they were tortured by the most was Brooks Robinson.

o

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

My cousins are Yankee fans that grew up in West Springfield, VA. They said that the Orioles pitcher that drove them crazy more than anyone was Mike Cuellar. The Orioles batter that they were tortured by the most was Brooks Robinson.

o

Cuellar was dang good, but I think Palmer does know a thing or two about pitching.

Cuellar is long remembered in Birdland and Bedard is just the guy who got us, Tilly and Jonesy.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cuellar was dang good, but I think Palmer does know a thing or two about pitching.

Cuellar is long remembered in Birdland, and Bedard is just the guy who got us Tilly and Jonesy.

o

I didn't say that Palmer didn't know. They grew up in the 60's and early 70's, and that was their experience.

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I didn't say that Palmer didn't know. They grew up in the 60's and early 70's, and that was their experience.

o

It was awesome growing up in the 60s, watching Gibby pitch, talk about nasty stuff, man, what a beast. Sorry to hear about his passing away. But, that sadly is life, we are born, we live and we die.

Not just Gibby, but so darn many great players to play in the 60s and 70s, even Mays at the end of his career was something to see.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

It was awesome growing up in the 60's, watching Gibby pitch ...... talk about nasty stuff, man, what a beast. Sorry to hear about his passing away. But, that sadly is life, we are born, we live and we die.

Not just Gibby, but so darn many great players to play in the 60's and 70's, even Mays at the end of his career was something to see.

o

At the age of 40 in 1971, Mays led the National League in both Walks and On-Base percentage. Plus, he also stole 23 bases that season ........ that is some feat, particularly in those days when they didn't have access to all of the modern nutrition and conditioning methods that they have today.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I think saying Bedard had the best stuff of any O’s LH starter is different from saying he was the best LH starter.    Command and pitchability also come into play.   Not to mention longevity.    

Best rWAR seasons by an O’s LH starter (only the best season for each starter is listed):

McNally 1968 5.8

Bedard 2007 5.7

McGregor 1983 5.3

Cuellar 1969 4.4

Flanagan 1979 3.8

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that saying Bedard had the best stuff of any Orioles LH starter is different from saying he was the best LH starter ........ command and pitchability also come into play, not to mention longevity.    

Best rWAR seasons by an Orioles LH starter (only the best season for each starter is listed):

McNally 1968 5.8

Bedard 2007 5.7

McGregor 1983 5.3

Cuellar 1969 4.4

Flanagan 1979 3.8

o

Agreed, and I wasn't necessarily disputing Palmer's assertion in regard to Bedard. Rather that Cuellar (even more so than Palmer and McNally) was the pitcher who drove them crazy the most with his stuff.

o

38 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

Agreed, and I wasn't necessarily disputing Palmer's assertion in regard to Bedard. Rather that Cuellar (even more so than Palmer and McNally) was the pitcher who drove them crazy the most with his stuff.

I was more of a McNally guy, but they were both superb.  Cuellar was super-crafty and really kept hitters off balance, plus he was one of the rare pitchers who threw a screwball.