Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They just coached him up.

On a more serious note Manny was bad at SS before the O's were a confirmed bad club.  It appeared to me that his defense had already started trending up before the trade.

I agree.   He made a lot of mental errors in the first few weeks, but tidied that up as the season progressed.    He’s not the rangiest SS in the world, but he was solid enough with his glove and of course terrific with his arm.

23 hours ago, Hallas said:

I thought it was trending up but it was more of a "better than terrible" trending up, rather than actual above-average.  His UZR/150 is +6.2 at SS with the Dodgers.

edit to add: When he wasn't playing for a terrible team in 2016, he was slightly above average at SS while covering for Hardy.

I agree with the first paragraph.  His defense got better at SS with us but was not above average at any point.   But I don’t think it was lack of effort.    Manny had every incentive in the world to show his potential free agent suitors that he’s a good SS.    That’s worth millions to him. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, Frobby said:

I agree Gausman’s age works in his favor, plus the lower mileage on his arm (about 300 fewer major league innings, and 400 fewer pre-MLB innings including MiL and college).     I’m not sure there’s a simple formula that says if a good pitcher nets two top prospects then a pitcher half that good should net one top prospect.    At the end of the day, we don’t know how far the O’s got in talks with Pittsburgh and what the offers were, so it’s hard to say if we could have done better with Pittsburgh than Atlanta.    

Since the trade the top 2 have clearly been Glasnow, Gausman & Archer a very distant 3rd. 

The Nats got nearly as much for: 1 month - of a pitcher who is 72nd (out of 73 qualified starters) in ERA in August - as we got for Gausman. The fact that they got two young prospects with immense upside for 1 month of a guy who hasn’t gotten an out in a month is....interesting. 

32 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Since the trade the top 2 have clearly been Glasnow, Gausman & Archer a very distant 3rd. 

The Nats got nearly as much for: 1 month - of a pitcher who is 72nd (out of 73 qualified starters) in ERA in August - as we got for Gausman. The fact that they got two young prospects with immense upside for 1 month of a guy who hasn’t gotten an out in a month is....interesting. 

Comparing the Gausman trade to any other SP traded isn’t an Apples to Apples comparison. We complicated(screwed up) the deal by including O’day and his $10 million salary. 

We all new that Gausman would have better results just going to the NL. See Wade Miley. We’d all feel better about that trade if we had another Dillon Tate/Luis Ortiz type in the minors. But we chose $10 million over a piece like that. Let’s look at the other trades though,

Machado- Looks good/great for us so far. Kremer is a stud. Diaz is a top 100 player. The rest of the package looks solid. 

Britton- Great for us. We traded him at the exact right time this year. We got two potential SP and a reliever. 

Brach- He just needed a change of scenery, the NL, stop being a closer, and to get away from trade talks. Not much we could do there. 

Schoop- Great for us so far. There is an argument to be made that. Villar is the better player right now. Plus Carmona and Ortiz. 

Gausman- Disaster. Haha. Looks like the main thinking was to get rid of O’day. Not the best way a rebuilding team should operate. The one move that ownership messed up. Could look pretty even if we sign Diaz with the Money saved. I don’t see that happening. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Gausman has a 1.69 ERA with the Braves but yeah, Buck and McDowell aren't the problems. ...

I'll tell you what, he puts up a sub 2.00 ERA next season and I'll heartily agree with you.

I already agree that they handled him poorly, I just don't think going to Atlanta was an instant fix.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Gausman has a 1.69 ERA with the Braves but yeah, Buck and McDowell aren't the problems. ...

Yeah, 5 starts is a great basis for judgment, especially considering the offenses Gausman has faced.   

I am going to go crazy with people posting this stuff every time Gausman has a good start.   We won’t have any basis to judge this until Gausman has pitched a full season for the Braves.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, 5 starts is a great basis for judgment, especially considering the offenses Gausman has faced.   

I am going to go crazy with people posting this stuff every time Gausman has a good start.   We won’t have any basis to judge this until Gausman has pitched a full season for the Braves.   

Also, his performance with the Braves is completely irrelevant to his trade value in July 2018. The only question is whether we could have gotten a better package. That depends much more on Zimmerman et al than what Gausman does or doesn't do. Schoop could be mashing and Gausman could bomb but that wouldn't make either deal better or worse for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Way too early.But better then Archer with over 6 ERA with Pittsburgh  

• Upvote 1