Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Seems too specific to be a record.

There's a whole subculture of made-up, impossibly specific records, usually designed to favorably compare Avisail Garcia with Ty Cobb. I don't know Jeremy Frank at all, but I think the only purpose of the Elias Bureau today is to let us know that someone became the first player since 1955 to have 24 doubles, 4 triples, 23 homers, 61 walks and 14 HBP in a sixteen-week period.  Of course 17 others did almost that or something more impressive, but then they couldn't tweet it out like it has meaning.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I'm surprised the record isn't something worse than that.

Also, why the "live ball era" qualifier?  Clearly this would go back to the beginning of time, since in the dead ball era there were pitchers who threw 464 innings in a season without allowing a single homer.  From 1908 (start of bb-ref single game data) through the end of the deadball era in 1919 no pitcher allowed more than four homers in an entire game.

Also, the all time record for homers allowed in a game by a single pitcher is six.  And, actually, in 1936 Tommy Thomas had a game where he threw a complete game where he gave up 16 hits, 10 runs, and six homers.  Earlier this month Mike Fiers gave up nine runs and five homers in a single inning.  In 2017 Michael Blazek threw 2.1 innings and allowed eight runs and six homers.  And of course there's Dylan Bundy's start of no outs and seven runs/four homers in May of last year.  So as I said in the previous post, there have been similar or even worse starts but if you acknowledge that then Jeremy Frank wouldn't have had a tweet to draw attention to himself.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Adam Jones now on the bench mainly.  I would imagine it is an effort to avoid paying the contract incentives for games played.  And probably Adam’s last month in the game. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/diamondbacks-adam-jones-losing-starting-role/

The author shows his ignorance of the fact that Adam has had fairly pronounced reverse-split stats (.788 / .730) during his career when he suggests that

Each of the last eight games has come with a righty on the mound for the opposition, so it's possible Jones is still the preferred option against lefties.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's a whole subculture of made-up, impossibly specific records, usually designed to favorably compare Avisail Garcia with Ty Cobb. I don't know Jeremy Frank at all, but I think the only purpose of the Elias Bureau today is to let us know that someone became the first player since 1955 to have 24 doubles, 4 triples, 23 homers, 61 walks and 14 HBP in a sixteen-week period.  Of course 17 others did almost that or something more impressive, but then they couldn't tweet it out like it has meaning.

I like this one better.

50 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder how many times it happened before 2000? 

Pudge Rodriquez 1999 35 HR, 41 CS.   Pudge had 40+ CS '92-93, '96-'99.   Mike Piazza  '97 40 HR, 43 CS; '98 32 HR, 41 CS.  Johnny Bench '77 31 HR, 42 CS.   Carlton Fisk '85, 37 HR, 44 CS. Yogi Berra '51 27 HR, 41 CS. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of years, runners simply didn’t dare to run on Bench.   He wasn’t catching 40 runners because nobody was running.   

‘69: 26 homers, 30-40 SB-CS

‘70 45 homers, 32-30

‘71: 27 homers, 37-26

’72: 40 homers, 24-31

’73: 25 homers, 28-27

’74: 33 homers, 37-35

’75: 28 homers, 32-27

’77: 31 homers, 64-42

I don’t consider ‘77 to be one of his better years viz. preventing the running game.  

39 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Pudge Rodriquez 1999 35 HR, 41 CS.   Pudge had 40+ CS '92-93, '96-'99.   Mike Piazza  '97 40 HR, 43 CS; '98 32 HR, 41 CS.  Johnny Bench '77 31 HR, 42 CS.   Carlton Fisk '85, 37 HR, 44 CS. Yogi Berra '51 27 HR, 41 CS. 

Surprised at Piazza being on this list. Great offensive catcher, but his defense was regularly knocked as below average.