Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When I was 25 I thought I was pretty well off making $30-40k.  I don't feel that much better off 23 years later, making substantially more.  I'm guessing it's pretty easy to settle into a reality where monthly $15,000 house payments and $3,000 car payments are normal, since you know you're going to be a star into your late 30s.  Then all of a sudden you're released at 27.

All sports need someone to frankly, forcefully tell all young players that there's a good chance they're going to be bankrupt in three years unless they set some aside and just don't touch it.  Even then it won't sink in for everyone.  Not when their first paycheck ever is a $3M signing bonus.  

Most lottery winners are back to where they were before they won within a few years.

Agreed.

My first 1 bedroom apartment was $225 a month and toss in 60 for electric and another 40 for phone and that was it. No cable TV, no internet, no cell phone bills.

Life was so much simpler then. :) :) :) :)

Oh yeah, my first used car payment was $66 a month.

Of course, that was in the days pre-kids, then along came diapers, formula, clothes, etc. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

There is an ESPN 30/30 on guys going bankrupt in sports. They have a bunch of ex-NFLers on there that made over $100 million.  Going broke doesn't have to do with only salary. 

Allen Iverson made $154M playing basketball and went through all of it. His saving grace is he has a lifetime contract with Reebok and is due to get paid $32M starting in 2030. 

https://clutchpoints.com/how-allen-iverson-avoided-going-completely-broke/

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Allen Iverson made $154M playing basketball and went through all of it. His saving grace is he has a lifetime contract with Reebok and is due to get paid $32M starting in 2030. 

https://clutchpoints.com/how-allen-iverson-avoided-going-completely-broke/

He also ignored George Thompson Sr speech to his players. He would take the entire squard and have 1 guy stand up. He said, if you are lucky, this is how many of you in this room will actually go onto play pro ball.

My 3 advice for for all.

#1 - Buy 1 piece of jewely

#2 - But 1 House

#3 - Buy 1 Car

And be careful about whom you surround yourself with, your posse will drain your money and be gone once the money is gone.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When I was 25 I thought I was pretty well off making $30-40k.  I don't feel that much better off 23 years later, making substantially more.  I'm guessing it's pretty easy to settle into a reality where monthly $15,000 house payments and $3,000 car payments are normal, since you know you're going to be a star into your late 30s.  Then all of a sudden you're released at 27.

All sports need someone to frankly, forcefully tell all young players that there's a good chance they're going to be bankrupt in three years unless they set some aside and just don't touch it.  Even then it won't sink in for everyone.  Not when their first paycheck ever is a $3M signing bonus.  

Most lottery winners are back to where they were before they won within a few years.

Worst story is that guy who won the lottery in West Virginia.  Won $315 million and his life was cursed after winning. Jack Whitaker. 

Notice how every winner takes the lump sum payment even though the 20 year payment is much higher.   They are setting out to blow it all. 

53 minutes ago, atomic said:

Worst story is that guy who won the lottery in West Virginia.  Won $315 million and his life was cursed after winning. Jack Whitaker. 

Notice how every winner takes the lump sum payment even though the 20 year payment is much higher.   They are setting out to blow it all. 

Wasnt a big amount, but there was the case of the lottery winner, who blew it out, and was cleaning restrooms on the Interstate in Ohio.

Myself, I would take the cash option, pay the taxes and then put it safely away in a living trust, hire @Frobby to be my personal lawyer. :)

Myself and my kids would be placed on a dollar amount that they could draw monthly.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He also ignored George Thompson Sr speech to his players. He would take the entire squard and have 1 guy stand up. He said, if you are lucky, this is how many of you in this room will actually go onto play pro ball.

My 3 advice for for all.

#1 - Buy 1 piece of jewely

#2 - But 1 House

#3 - Buy 1 Car

And be careful about whom you surround yourself with, your posse will drain your money and be gone once the money is gone.

I'd be willing to bet that Iverson was 0 for 3. 

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking at that box score of that game, Little Yaz is hitting .264 with a .317 OBP and a .523 SLG.

Manny is hitting .262 with a .333 OBP and a .466 SLG.  

Career WAR at Age of 27:

Lil' Yaz: 0

Manny: 36.8

At Age of 29:

小 Yaz: 2.1

Manny: At least 21 times that of 小 Mikey?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trey Mancini is hitting the same as Bryce Harper.  Hasner Alberto is out-hitting Miguel Cabrera.

Hold on there a second, sport. Cabrera is pretty dreadful at the moment, but he’s done Alberto’s season about 15 times. 

Find other one-year wonders for comparisons, and see what those guys did the next year.

I hope he can sustain it, but comparing him with a HOF-er is a bit much.