Orioles make several moves

Legend_Of_Joey

39 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So is Urias. Plus, possible trades of Cobb and anyone else.

Cobb will be hard to trade before the roster is set on Nov 20 because there will be free agents on the market.    Urias may be in a battle for 2B and UIF next season.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

‘It’s the season for Holiday cleaning!

OK, where am I off?   I've been keeping the 40 man roster in a file and updating it myself, and I count 33.   Did I forget to delete someone?

P (15):  Akin, Armstrong, Cobb, Eshelman, Fry, Harvey, Kremer, Lakins, Lopez, Means, Scott, Sulser, Tate, Valdez, Zimmerman

C(4) Holaday, Severino, Sisco, Wynns

IF(8):  Alberto, Davis, Iglesias, Nevin, Nunez, Ruiz, Urias, Valaika

OF (6) Hays, McKenna, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Stewart

15 + 4 +8 +6 = 33.   Who is the extra guy I have?

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Urias is in trouble. I would not be surprised if he's going to be given an opportunity to be the everyday second basemen next year.

I agree. Urias is a better overall hitter and fielder than Alberto. His defense was much better than was reported. He was supposedly a fringe 2B, but played well at SS in limited games. His hands looked soft and quick, and the arm and range were average. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree. Urias is a better overall hitter and fielder than Alberto. His defense was much better than was reported. He was supposedly a fringe 2B, but played well at SS in limited games. His hands looked soft and quick, and the arm and range were average. 

You must have seen a different guy than I saw.  He committed 4 errors in 9 games.  3 of those at SS.  From his minor league history I think he might have a chance at 2B but not SS.

• Upvote 1

Those were the right moves. 

I've seen others suggest Lakins, Armstrong, Eshelman, Valdez, Wynns, Ruiz, Valaikia, and Urias at times over the past few months as potential cuts, but I'd like to hold onto Lakins, Armstrong, Valakia and Valdez.    I think the rest would pass through waivers, and I wouldn't lose sleep if they didn't. 

Davis could be cut.  Cobb, Alberto, Nunez, and Severino could be traded or not offered arbitration.

Even with Mancini and Martin coming off the DL, they could have less than 30 players on the 40 man soon.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

But that is before they add Mancini and Martin.   Wynns and Sulser are still on the bubble.

I like Martin but why do they have to add him? No one would claim him on waivers, and he won’t be R5 eligible again, so no need to add him right?

meanwhile, glad we’ve seen the last of Phillips and Hess.