Orioles make several moves

Legend_Of_Joey

On 10/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, ScGO's said:

Those were the right moves. 

I've seen others suggest Lakins, Armstrong, Eshelman, Valdez, Wynns, Ruiz, Valaikia, and Urias at times over the past few months as potential cuts, but I'd like to hold onto Lakins, Armstrong, Valakia and Valdez.    I think the rest would pass through waivers, and I wouldn't lose sleep if they didn't. 

Davis could be cut.  Cobb, Alberto, Nunez, and Severino could be traded or not offered arbitration.

Even with Mancini and Martin coming off the DL, they could have less than 30 players on the 40 man soon.

Alberto and Nunez are gone now, Severino May be gone by January. If Elias can find someone cheaper and better or even merely as good, Sevi is gone.

edit: Alberto and Nunez are not gone yet, but I expect they will be. Sorry for the incorrect implication.

Edited by Philip

9 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree. Urias is a better overall hitter and fielder than Alberto. His defense was much better than was reported. He was supposedly a fringe 2B, but played well at SS in limited games. His hands looked soft and quick, and the arm and range were average. 

Yeah .... let me know when Urias challenges for the batting title before you make such claims. Urias hit well in 25 ABs but that means nothing.  Plus as @wildcard said his defense was very mediocre.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I like Martin but why do they have to add him? No one would claim him on waivers, and he won’t be R5 eligible again, so no need to add him right?

meanwhile, glad we’ve seen the last of Phillips and Hess.

I think Martin would get claimed as a UIF.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Doubtful but even if he does, there are dozens more just like him.

I don’t care who they keep amongst the current group as long as they don’t risk losing any young asset with any kind of am upside.  It’s one thing to lose borderline guys when you have a good 40 man roster.  It’s another to do it when you have the group the Os have.  

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

You must have seen a different guy than I saw.  He committed 4 errors in 9 games.  3 of those at SS.  From his minor league history I think he might have a chance at 2B but not SS.

The number of errors is low hanging fruit, but I am looking deeper at his actions, hands, arm, positioning. Has mostly played 2B, from what I understand. He is more athletic than I had read. They must have worked his conditioning hard upon his acquisition. 

Urias also made some very difficult plays look easy at SS. Who knows, maybe a little nervous in his debut. IDK, but time will tell. The physical attributes were much much better than advertised though. 

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah .... let me know when Urias challenges for the batting title before you make such claims. Urias hit well in 25 ABs but that means nothing.  Plus as @wildcard said his defense was very mediocre.

Did Alberto challenge for the batting title until the end? Nah, he struggled badly in September. Urías IS a “better overall hitter.” I know it is a bold thing to say on a few weeks worth of games, but his set up and approach look to be very solid. A Batting title means nothing to me when you don’t walk much. The league has figured out that you do not need to throw Alberto a strike. 

Urias drives the ball better, and with more power to all fields. His plate discipline is far superior to a Alberto as well, but Alberto may swing and miss less. As far as the defense, a few errors are no big deal in his debut. Look deeper. He gets to balls that Alberto would not, and has a much better arm. He also made a few really nice plays. I think there is upside there. 

If you want to be loyal to Alberto, whose OBP is extremely batting average dependent, and his defense is poor, not just below average, but poor. Then, that’s your choice. For me, he is too expensive for what he actually brings to the table. He was a waiver wire grab, and so is Urias. 

I am not saying Urias is an all-star level player. I just think he is likely to be a better overall player than Alberto. Urias may not beat out Yolmer for 2B, but he might be a solid UT option. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

Possibly, but unlikely. Especially now, when every team is dumping worthwhile guys who can be had for league minimum or a bit more, all of whom are as good as or better than Martin. I’ve always liked him, but most of the posters here were expecting him to be shuffled off to AAA for the rest of his life until his injury rendered the question moot. I doubt he’d be claimed.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Possibly, but unlikely. Especially now, when every team is dumping worthwhile guys who can be had for league minimum or a bit more, all of whom are as good as or better than Martin. I’ve always liked him, but most of the posters here were expecting him to be shuffled off to AAA for the rest of his life until his injury rendered the question moot. I doubt he’d be claimed.

Name one that is a SS.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Name one that is a SS.

Or a 2B or a 3B... lots of options, and we don’t know all of them yet, but remember, we just need someone better than Martin, and as much as I root for him and like him, and would be happy to see him on next year’s team, finding his equal will not be difficult.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would bet that almost every organization has a Richie Martin type player in AA or AAA...and probably more than one player too.

But if they are as good as Richie Martin they are protected and would not pass through waivers.   I don't think we see good, young, cheap SS with potential pass through waivers.  If you think there are some available....name one.