Sanchez signs for 1 million

Philip

The Orioles signed Yolmer Sanchez to a one-year deal worth $1MM, according to MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (via Twitter).  Baltimore claimed Sanchez off waivers from the White Sox at the end of October.  Sanchez was non-tendered by Chicago prior to last year’s deadline, though after signing a minors deal with the Giants, he returned to the White Sox on another minor league deal and appeared in 11 games on the South Side.

MLBTR

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

Yolmer Sanchez gives us good defense at 2B. It's a good baseline for the position and will allow guys like Bannon and Vavra a chance to break in for ABs should the earn it.

1B/DH Mountcastle/Mancini

2B Sanchez

SS Iglesias

3B ?

To steal a line from Abbott and Costello...  Who's on third?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, owknows said:

2B Sanchez

SS Iglesias

3B ?

Too soon for Gunnar. Bannon. Hall? Martin? Urias/Urena(I keep getting them mixed up)Maybe Sanchez moved to third?

12 minutes ago, weams said:

These are the type million dollar deals I was referring too. We don't know anything about 2021. Orioles are not spending money.

To clarify, the Os are willing to spend, but not to waste. This is an excellent expense. I continue to question the money spent on Severino, but it’s not that important, and if we find a better catcher, that catcher will probably supplant Sisco.

Now let’s get a good 3B!

• Upvote 2

I really like this deal. As I have said many times, this you should be about the young pitching and GG caliber defense up the middle is a big plus. I hope they keep him at 2B and come up with an acceptable player for 3B.

This is what they should've done a catcher. Sign a plus defensive catcher and dumped Severino. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, owknows said:

2B Sanchez

SS Iglesias

3B ?

I'm afraid it's still going to be Ruiz, but would much prefer they keep Alberto and put him there and let Ruiz walk. I think Bannon is going to be given a chance to make the roster, but not a clear path to everyday ABs until he "earns" them, but perhaps it is Bannon.

We may still see an acquisition once we see what is available post the tender deadline.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I'm afraid it's still going to be Ruiz, but would much prefer they keep Alberto and put him there and let Ruiz walk. I think Bannon is going to be given a chance to make the roster, but not a clear path to everyday ABs until he "earns" them, but perhaps it is Bannon.

We may still see an acquisition once we see what is available post the tender deadline.

I agree that I would rather see Alberto there than Ruiz. My hope is that Bannon earns the job and they leave him there in order to see what they have. The more questions they can answer this year the quicker the rebuild will progress. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I wonder if they plan to keep Alberto and move him to third? Ruiz has an option so he can be sent down without losing him, so that might be an option, though I’m unsure how well Alberto can play third.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I wonder if they plan to keep Alberto and move him to third? Ruiz has an option so he can be sent down without losing him, so that might be an option, though I’m unsure how well Alberto can play third.

IIRC his defense was pretty good over there at least average. His arm look a little suspect to me this year but to be fair, I got used to seeing Schoop and his cannon at 2B.

33 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

IIRC his defense was pretty good over there at least average. His arm look a little suspect to me this year but to be fair, I got used to seeing Schoop and his cannon at 2B.

Wouldn’t mind him as the short side of a platoon with Ruiz and occasional fill in at 2B if Sánchez or Iglesias need days off. 

• Upvote 1