Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

LookinUp

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m fine with that.   There’s no big hurry unless some players get hurt.    

There’s not a hurry but it’s also time to get him up provided he performs and is healthy.  There is no reason to leave him down to hit certain benchmarks.  Once he gets rolling and is healthy, get him up.

Elias made it seem like had this been a normal season, that he would have been in AAA and perhaps, even Baltimore this year (I think that was likely had he had a healthy year).

He’s not a 21 y/o prospect anymore.  It’s time and we easily have a spot for him without doing anything to the roster.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s not a hurry but it’s also time to get him up provided he performs and is healthy.  There is no reason to leave him down to hit certain benchmarks.  Once he gets rolling and is healthy, get him up.

Elias made it seem like had this been a normal season, that he would have been in AAA and perhaps, even Baltimore this year (I think that was likely had he had a healthy year).

He’s not a 21 y/o prospect anymore.  It’s time and we easily have a spot for him without doing anything to the roster.

When we judge he is more worthy of playing time than someone else on the 25-man roster, they can bring him up and send someone else down.    Could be he replaces Stewart or Mullins, for example.    Or, like I said, maybe someone gets hurt and he’s the best available option.  No reason to force things one way or the other.    

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When we judge he is more worthy of playing time than someone else on the 25-man roster, they can bring him up and send someone else down.    Could be he replaces Stewart or Mullins, for example.    Or, like I said, maybe someone gets hurt and he’s the best available option.  No reason to force things one way or the other.    

But again he’s not really replacing anyone.

Once they let Nunez go, we opened the door for a revolving DH.  That would change with Diaz here but overall, guys would still get at bats.

We just need Diaz to perform and be healthy for probably 6-8 weeks and then he will be up.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Once they let Nunez go, we opened the door for a revolving DH.  That would change with Diaz here but overall, guys would still get at bats.

We just need Diaz to perform and be healthy for probably 6-8 weeks and then he will be up.

By definition, he’s replacing someone when he comes up.    So he needs to be more useful (potentially) than that player.    I’m not going to spin hypotheticals on this because I expect a lot of roster moves between now and OD and have no idea who will be on the roster.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know why you keep saying this.  It’s obvious that if he doesn’t perform, he doesn’t come up.  There is no need to mention the same thing over and over and over again. 

This is like saying, if you don’t breathe, you will die.  We get it.  

That’s not the issue being discussed.

And btw the term “rushed” is a fallacy.

What .... Do you have a frog in your pocket?

Your statement is no different than you saying

"I'm Right , I'm Right , I'm Always Right! .... How dare you question my superior knowledge! "

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

What .... Do you have a frog in your pocket?

Your statement is no different than you saying

"I'm Right , I'm Right , I'm Always Right! .... How dare you question my superior knowledge! "

Not at all.  If you want to poorly interpret things, that’s on you.

We all know any player has to perform and be healthy to be brought up.  You are arguing something that literally no one in the history of life has ever argued against.

If you want to join in the actual discussion, the discussion is, do you leave him in the minors in 2021 even if the performance is very good and he is healthy.  That’s the discussion.  What you are discussing isn’t a discussion anyone is having except for you.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

But he hasn’t yet at a lower level. What possible reason would you need to rush him? I know you didn’t say that but. Earn the promotion to the next level .... perform well .... move up. I don’t think anyone is arguing a merited promotion. But so far he’s earned a return trip to A ball. AA if your crediting his time in the extra Bowie camp. I’m not ....and I don’t expect Elias to considering he’s already waived the white flag in his interview and actions, which was trading arguably his best player.

If he can’t perform in the minors why would anyone be optimistic about his chances in the majors. If he gets to the time in the process where you have to promote or cut him then fine. Bring him up! 

But, in the past the Orioles rushed guys, brought them up before they earned it and then watched them struggle mightily.

If he can’t produce the numbers I mentioned in the minors at an advanced age then he’s likely a bust anyway.

BTW, BB reference has his age diff in 2019 at Bowie as -2.1. So really he’s not being held back. By my calculation he’d be right on track for Bowie this season, No?

So again ...he’s done nothing to press the agenda to justify moving forward the process.

Disagree, poor quality players. Not development. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree. Health has been his main issue. He is ready. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I agree. Health has been his main issue. He is ready. 

It sounds to me that is how Elias is looking at it.  

Of course, it could just be “GM speak” but I tend to believe he feels he is ready.  But he has to be healthy and get consistent at bats.

My worry is that the injuries have zapped him of some of his talent.  You just never know how injuries can effect an athlete.  The good news is that he hasn’t had any major injuries.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not at all.  If you want to poorly interpret things, that’s on you.

We all know any player has to perform and be healthy to be brought up. 1) You are arguing something that literally no one in the history of life has ever argued against.

2)If you want to join in the actual discussion, the discussion is, do you leave him in the minors in 2021 even if the performance is very good and he is healthy.  That’s the discussion.  What you are discussing isn’t a discussion anyone is having except for you.

LOL

1) NO ... There are guys here that mentioned bringing AR and Diaz up asap rather than watching guys like Alberto, Jace Peterson, Martin etc! None of our position guys other than AR has put up numbers at AA or AAA that merit a job in the majors to this point.

2) I mentioned I started AR at A+ ball and Diaz at AA.... I don't care what they do at that level. Superior performance means a promotion to the next level.  I would give them no less than 150-200 ABs before moving them along. Anyone can get hot for a week or two and we want to be sure that the skill level is there and not just a hot streak.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

LOL

1) NO ... There are guys here that mentioned bringing AR and Diaz up asap rather than watching guys like Alberto, Jace Peterson, Martin etc! None of our position guys other than AR has put up numbers at AA or AAA that merit a job in the majors to this point.

2) I mentioned I started AR at A+ ball and Diaz at AA.... I don't care what they do at that level. Superior performance means a promotion to the next level.  I would give them no less than 150-200 ABs before moving them along. Anyone can get hot for a week or two and we want to be sure that the skill level is there and not just a hot streak.

Who mentioned bringing up Diaz and AR ASAP?  Link that for me please.

And where was it brought up in this thread?

In general, I am not opposed to manipulating time when the team is rebuilding.  If a team sucks and a player is ready or an opportunity exists...bring em up.  If he is good you should probably trade him for more talent anyway.  If the team is on the verge of competing for playoffs, and you have a guy who may help you get there, then you do it.  Doesn't have to be a Manny, but if he can make a difference, play him.

Where we are right now, I am a little more patient.  The O's should be building talent and trying to determine who is a long term piece.  Yes, finding out what you have is still just as important but in this situation, we should also be trying to manage a group that is controllable.  

To me the difference should be more subtle than it is.  Certainly the O's have been accused of manipulating for money not development.  I am fine with what happened with Mountcastle...who was obviously ready.  Someone like say, Diaz, is close but maybe not so obvious.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Disagree, poor quality players. Not development. 

How do you advocate for a promotion of a player that hasn't earned it! I don't care if he was drafted 1st or in the 15th round  or a IFA.

From the time Mussina was drafted to Manny Machado we busted in the 1st round so many times its not funny even when they didn't bust they mostly considerably unperformed their expectation (Bundy, Wieters etc)!

People back then would have the same exact argument that you are making here! Remember all of the TOR talk over and over .... The posse , reinforcements, the stable..... Whatever they were called here... Wieters was an expected phenom here and in a lot of places! Its fair to say he came well short of those expectations. So saying we should make room on a team that is going to lose a 100 games to start the clock for guys who are not knocking down the door is just bonkers!

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who mentioned bringing up Diaz and AR ASAP?  Link that for me please.

And where was it brought up in this thread?

I'm not doing it for you! If you look you will find! There were people here calling for Diaz this summer around the time Santander went down.

• Haha 1