Orioles not likely to bid on Ha-Seong Kim

Roll Tide

Should the Orioles be in on Ha-Seong Kim?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles be in on Ha-Seong Kim?

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think some of the opposition to posting fees in the past was a failure to understand or care that posted players are under contract to foreign teams, and if you want that contract and player you have to pay for that value.  I don't know if the Orioles were philosophically opposed to compensating teams for the players they control, or if they just couldn't afford the players being offered.

Ohtani cost 22.3M to acquire.  I'm reasonably sure any team could afford that for a talent of his caliber.

Now I'm not suggesting that the O's could have realistically acquired Ohtani but it was disappointing that they didn't even bother to make an offer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think some of the opposition to posting fees in the past was a failure to understand or care that posted players are under contract to foreign teams, and if you want that contract and player you have to pay for that value.  I don't know if the Orioles were philosophically opposed to compensating teams for the players they control, or if they just couldn't afford the players being offered.

I think under the old rules the posting fee was the subject of a sealed bid and then the winner still had to pay the player pretty much a free agent price.   It was pretty expensive.   The new rules are more friendly to the signing team.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think under the old rules the posting fee was the subject of a sealed bid and then the winner still had to pay the player pretty much a free agent price.   It was pretty expensive.   The new rules are more friendly to the signing team.  

Which means less friendly to the posting team.  Which lowers the incentives to post anyone.  Imagine a scenario where the Orioles wanted to post Trey Mancini so he could go sign with a rich Japanese or Korean team, and they changed to rules to limit how much the O's could get out of the process because the foreign league(s) didn't want to pay so much.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohtani cost 22.3M to acquire.  I'm reasonably sure any team could afford that for a talent of his caliber.

Now I'm not suggesting that the O's could have realistically acquired Ohtani but it was disappointing that they didn't even bother to make an offer.

If you know that your ceiling isn't competitive why make an offer?  So fans can say "oooh look, the O's pulled out Syd's confederate money again!"?

On 12/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Right, like when they declined to participate in the Ohtani posting.

The Darvish posting.

The Tanaka posting.

The Ryu posting.

Wait, you believe this player belongs in the same group as these players?  I don't see that at all.  Other than playing professional baseball in a foreign country, there is really no comparison.  Whether or not the Orioles will ever consider participating in the posting system is an interesting question, but this isn't a case I would use to argue the point one way or the other.  If the Orioles have changed philosophy and plan on testing the waters on the posting system, they may well still have no interest in bidding on this particular player.  Just really not a good example to choose to prove your point, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Wait, you believe this player belongs in the same group as these players?  I don't see that at all.  Other than playing professional baseball in a foreign country, there is really no comparison.  Whether or not the Orioles will ever consider participating in the posting system is an interesting question, but this isn't a case I would use to argue the point one way or the other.  If the Orioles have changed philosophy and plan on testing the waters on the posting system, they may well still have no interest in bidding on this particular player.  Just really not a good example to choose to prove your point, IMO.

I didn't say that.  Heck I haven't even said I would have bid on Kim.

What I was saying is that the O's don't participate in the posting system. 

I see no reason to assume they have changed their mind about it until they actually participate.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say that.  Heck I haven't even said I would have bid on Kim.

What I was saying is that the O's don't participate in the posting system. 

I see no reason to assume they have changed their mind about it until they actually participate.

I see no reason to make an assumption either way.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What was the posting fee?  Has that been announced yet?

Yes

DEC. 31, 6:06pm: The Padres have announced Kim’s signing. His deal includes a mutual option for 2025. The option could increase the value to $39MM, Jeeho Yoo of Yonhap News reports. Yoo adds that the Heroes will receive $5.25MM as the posting fee.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posting fee of 5.25M.

Higher than I would have gone.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/padres-sign-ha-seong-kim.html

I don’t get it! This isn’t a lot of money for a player that is developed and ready to produce at the MLB level. The Orioles paid a combined  3.5 million dollars for Baumer and Mayo in bonuses. Both players need to be developed and likely reach the majors is 3 or 4 years best case scenario. Possibly never reaching or making a major impact.

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t get it! This isn’t a lot of money for a player that is developed and ready to produce at the MLB level. The Orioles paid a combined  3.5 million dollars for Baumer and Mayo in bonuses. Both players need to be developed and likely reach the majors is 3 or 4 years best case scenario. Possibly never reaching or making a major impact.

Because of the.last history of former KBO players.  Drungo gave us the numbers.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok. That’s 1/10 the total money for two guys who could also be better than him. They could be nothing, sure, but the KBO is roughly AA quality. Not exactly a sure thing. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ready to produce at the MLB level?  Maybe,  maybe not.   Padres took a gamble here,  not one the Os should have considered at that price.