SS target: Wily Adames

Sports Guy

The Rays are loaded at the SS position, including the best prospect in baseball, Wander Franco.  The Rays will Keep him down to get the service time but he is likely ready to go quickly.  

In total, 3 of their top 5 prospects are capable of playing SS.  We know the Rays won’t hesitate to make trades and they don’t want salary on their roster.

Adames is still cheap for 2021 but he is arb eligible on 2022.  While the Rays may choose to hold onto him for another year (and they even could just move him to third) , I think it’s more likely they use him as a trade chip.  

He fits into a profile the Os should be looking into.  Trading some of our Of depth and/or young BP arms could be a match here.  They have a lot of starting pitcher candidates coming up soon, so I’m not sure that would work but we do have some things that matchup with them.

I just don’t think we’re at the level of competing yet to trade away any talent for one particular position, especially a player that will be in arbitration soon. 

We are more along the lines of being so far away from competing still that we will be looking to trade away players with contracts and that are in arbitration. 

We will be looking to deal away players on our 40 man roster that won’t be here 3+ years from now, for players that aren’t needed to be added to the 40 man roster. 

Realistically, we do not have the foundation to acquire any one player from our depth of prospects. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Realistically, we do not have the foundation to acquire any one player from our depth of prospects. 

I was actually just wondering about that, overall, we probably don’t have the depth we need to be trading prospects, however it’s possible we may have a little bit of a surplus here or there, and we could deal from that surplus without causing any problems. I don’t know where that surplus is, and I don’t know how much trade value a 16 year old with a high ceiling has, But we’ve been acquiring a whole lot of 16 year olds with really high ceilings, it seems. Maybe we can deal one or two of them.

Edited by Philip

This is definitely the best trade target of SS's i've seen posted yet. He is not a bad option at all. Tampa probably wont be ready to deal him until Franco is ready though. Which could be mid summer or later depending on what they do with him. Im curious what prospects they would want in return. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This is definitely the best trade target of SS's i've seen posted yet. He is not a bad option at all. Tampa probably wont be ready to deal him until Franco is ready though. Which could be mid summer or later depending on what they do with him. Im curious what prospects they would want in return. 

Rodriguez and AR

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rodriguez and AR

Zero chance they would expect this type of return. Sure, they could ask at first.  You always hear about stupid asking prices but no way they are dumb enough to think anyone would give them 2 top 30 guys, including one of the best in the sport.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero chance they would expect this type of return. Sure, they could ask at first.  You always hear about stupid asking prices but no way they are dumb enough to think anyone would give them 2 top 30 guys, including one of the best in the sport.

Rays would be trading a young, proven player.  They will want a teams best prospects in return.  Adames will play 2021 at 25 years old.  He had an 813 OPS last year and has already hit 20 homers in a season and he  is still getting better.  He is not arbitration eligible until after the 2021 season.  The Rays will get what they ask for him or keep him at SS or they will move him to another position which could include the outfield.

Trading him to the O's for anything less than several of the O's best prospects is a pipe dream because other teams will pay up for a player like that.

• Upvote 3

Just now, wildcard said:

Rays would be trading a young, proven player.  They will want a teams best prospects in return.  Adams will play 2021 at 25 years old.  He had an 813 OPS last year and has already hit 20 homers in a season and he  is still getting better.  He is not arbitration eligible until after the 2021 season.  The Rays will get what they ask for him or keep him at SS or they will move him to another position which could include the outfield.

If the Rays trade him, zero chance they get even a top 30 guy for him...maybe, they get a top 50 guy but even that is a stretch.

That is, of course, assuming he stays on the same level he is now.  What he is now is not a player that warrants that type of return.  

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Rays trade him, zero chance they get even a top 30 guy for him...maybe, they get a top 50 guy but even that is a stretch.

That is, of course, assuming he stays on the same level he is now.  What he is now is not a player that warrants that type of return.  

You're blowing smoke.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You're blowing smoke.

Lol...no, you just are completely overrating the situation, per usual.

Adames is a good player but the return you are talking about is for a perennial AS.  He’s not that.  He’s not close to that.  Maybe he will become it but he has a ways to go to get to that level.