Michael Baumann and Erik Bedard

Just Regular

Just now, Philip said:

I have no idea what that means, and I have a college degree. Could you please explain and share please?

Wow, a college degree. 

Wow based offer-  Refers to the rumor that Angelos was offering a "Wow" offer that would convince Teixeira to sign with the Orioles.

Downfall clip-  In this context Downfall obviously refers to some form of video or audio clip. 

If were to google "Downfall parody" on Google you get a ton of various hits.

If you were to explore those links you should be able to figure out that someone used the available template to make a Downfall parody that had Hitler ranting about the O's wow offer to Teixeira.

I figure you went to college before Google was a thing but this is really basic stuff.

• Haha 1

Philip, no reason it would mean anything to you unless you were posting here in 2008.  It relates to a fictitious movie clip in German where Hitler is yelling angrily at his staff and is clearly going out of his mind.    I forget the movie it comes from.   In the parody, there are subtitles ranting about the Orioles’ failure to land Teixeira.    Someone here put it together and it was very funny.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Philip, no reason it would mean anything to you unless you were posting here in 2008.  It relates to a fictitious movie clip in German where Hitler is yelling angrily at his staff and is clearly going out of his mind.    I forget the movie it comes from.   In the parody, there are subtitles ranting about the Orioles’ failure to land Teixeira.    Someone here put it together and it was very funny.  

The movie was Downfall.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh, yes I’m very familiar with that, my late stepdaughter was in law school, when somebody had put a Law school oriented script to that video. Boy it was funny. What I remember Hitler screaming is “I want a Mercedes!”

so funny.

edit: Just tried to find it, but apparently it’s been taken down, I guess because everybody who graduated SMU in 2013 got their Mercedes.

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Oh, yes I’m very familiar with that, my late stepdaughter was in law school, when somebody had put a Law school oriented script to that video. Boy it was funny. What I remember Hitler screaming is “I want a Mercedes!”

so funny.

edit: Just tried to find it, but apparently it’s been taken down, I guess because everybody who graduated SMU in 2013 got their Mercedes.

Its an evergreen institution by now, for virtually anything.   The Teixeira one unseated an Axis and Allies one as my favorite.

I would love to be able to post the original, but don't know if it is still here.  I admit I have once or twice tried search strings here on OH like Teixeira Hitler but without success.

Depending on one's level of historical nerdiness a person may come across at different moments.  Literally in the last year, my mother-in-law and wife found it for something else, sharing enthusiastically with the regular Breaking News thrill, like seeing The Sixth Sense or Scream for the first time.

I think here I'm at a highwater mark for the Rogers Hornsby winter policy of staring out window waiting for baseball to return.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Its an evergreen institution by now, for virtually anything.   The Teixeira one unseated an Axis and Allies one as my favorite.

I would love to be able to post the original, but don't know if it is still here.  I admit I have once or twice tried search strings here on OH like Teixeira Hitler but without success.

Depending on one's level of historical nerdiness a person may come across at different moments.  Literally in the last year, my mother-in-law and wife found it for something else, sharing enthusiastically with the regular Breaking News thrill, like seeing The Sixth Sense or Scream for the first time.

I think here I'm at a highwater mark for the Rogers Hornsby winter policy of staring out window waiting for baseball to return.

I've still got a ways to go.  January is by far the longest month.

Y'all can expect more music finds over on the appropriate forum as I tend to have extra spare time around now.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, OrioleDog said:

You shoulda been here for the Tejada/Javy not Pudge/Vlad breaking our heart/Palmeiro 2/Ponson 2 sequence 17 years ago.   Those were more lurker days for me, but the four weeks we hoped Tejada's coattails could catch Vlad were spirited.   

I found the OH with the first Vlad signing attempt.   Stayed up until 3am with dejected hope reading everything I could until I gave up and realized he was Angel to be.   

But lurked and read here for many years before posting anything at all.   Not sure I even “joined” those first few years.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Favorite Bedard moment off the field is when he told the media he was limiting them to three questions. One of them asked, “Why three questions?”

”That’s one.”

That's an old Irish trick I saw again recently in an old 50s flick with Sean Connery, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, where the king of the leprechauns uses it with the three wishes he grants Darby.

• Upvote 1