Yankees Need Catching Depth

ScGO's

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If healthy, I think Rutschman’s floor is probably Wieters and his ceiling is Mauer.    That’s not too shabby.   

The fact that we didn’t have a MiL season last year is what gets everyone nervous.    We didn’t have a significant pro stat line on which to judge him.  Can’t be helped.    We’ll find out when we find out.   

Maybe we'll get Mauer with Power? Haven't heard that before. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Find me one meaningful pro (college isn't pro) game that Adley has played.  I'll wait.  Hint:  He quite literally hasn't.

And yeah, he's not done anything to cement the fact that I should be thinking that he's Jesus in spikes.  He's put up some decent numbers in the lower level pro games he's played in and he looked good facing the same pitching over and over at the alternative site last summer.  If that's supposed to make me think that he's a stud...well, it ain't. If that's enough for you to get excited, that's fine.  

The facts of the argument remain that neither one of these guys have faced high level (AA or higher) pitching.  As I've said, I'd take the younger guy who plays a position that doesn't induce significant amounts of wear and tear.  It's fine if you don't agree.  

Start here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rutsch000adl&type=bgl&year=2019

Though I guess I wasn't aware that professional baseball arbitrarily starts at AA. I'm well aware that we don't agree on whether it's smart to trade the #2 prospect in baseball for an amateur teenager. You are just flat out incorrect in your understanding of how probability and scouting works. There were scouts last year that saw him in live competition against professional baseball pitchers outside of the org even though there wasn't a standard season. I'm not sure you're aware of this. I understand that YOU haven't seen enough to think he's a stud but to act like there's no way anyone can come to that conclusion thus far is ludicrous. These guys that evaluate these prospects don't just make things up.  

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Start here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rutsch000adl&type=bgl&year=2019

Though I guess I wasn't aware that professional baseball arbitrarily starts at AA. I'm well aware that we don't agree on whether it's smart to trade the #2 prospect in baseball for an amateur teenager. You are just flat out incorrect in your understanding of how probability and scouting works. There were scouts last year that saw him in live competition against professional baseball pitchers outside of the org even though there wasn't a standard season. I'm not sure you're aware of this. I understand that YOU haven't seen enough to think he's a stud but to act like there's no way anyone can come to that conclusion thus far is ludicrous. These guys that evaluate these prospects don't just make things up.  

What are you, Adley's cousin?  Okay...if you think A ball level games are meaningful, we just need to agree to disagree.  

Professional baseball doesn't start at AA but players make the jump to the majors from AA and AAA.  I thought I wouldn't need to explain that to you but I guess I do.  Players don't make the jump from A ball meaning that A ball games are irrelevant.  

You can talk all about the scouts that saw him in live competition against professional pitchers outside the organization, that's fine.  Scouts have been wrong plenty of times before. 

Call me when he's lighting it up in AA and knocking on the door to the majors.  Until then, I'm skeptical.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can talk all about the scouts that saw him in live competition against professional pitchers outside the organization, that's fine.  Scouts have been wrong plenty of times before. 

Call me when he's lighting it up in AA and knocking on the door to the majors.  Until then, I'm skeptical.

The irony of saying this after proclaiming that trading him for a teenager that hasn't seen a tricky league pitch is a no brainer is utterly hilarious. That's the point. If you're going to post clearly controversial things you should probably be a little less defensive. 

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The irony of saying this after proclaiming that trading him for a teenager that hasn't seen a tricky league pitch is a no brainer is utterly hilarious. That's the point. If you're going to post clearly controversial things you should probably be a little less defensive. 

What's utterly hilarious is you thinking that A ball games are meaningful.  

You're clearly not following:  I prefer Dominguez strictly due to the fact that he's not a catcher.  Of course there's risk with Dominguez, I never said there wasn't.  

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're clearly not following:  I prefer Dominguez strictly due to the fact that he's not a catcher.  Of course there's risk with Dominguez, I never said there wasn't.  

I'm following. You are positing that the risk of Dominguez is equal to the risk of Adley. I don't buy that. No scout buys that. No GM with Rutschman, given how awful catchers are in baseball right now, would make that trade. Could you end up being correct in your assessment eventually, sure. But if Dominguez is tearing it up in A ball this year and shooting up the prospect rankings I hope you are the first to acknowledge that those results are totally meaningless!

5 hours ago, LTO's said:

You are talking about trading the number 2 prospect in baseball, perhaps the best catching prospect in two decades, who is nearly ML ready for a teenager who hasn't taken a pro AB. There isn't a GM in baseball who would trade Adley for Jasson right now. We don't know if Jasson is done growing, can handle high velocity or hit a professional breaking ball.  I'm not going to definitively say Adley will provide more value in his career than Jasson but making that move right now without any data is a fireable offense. 

Having major Matt Wieters flashbacks here ?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's utterly hilarious is you thinking that A ball games are meaningful.  

I think you’re being a bit rhetorical here, Moose.    Who has played games that are a more relevant indicator of possible major league success, Rutschman or Dominguez?   It’s obviously Rutschman.    Would AA be a better indicator than either low/short season A, or Division I college ball?    Of course it would.    But we know a helluva lot more about Rutschman’s performance against pretty good competition than we know about Dominguez’s. I don’t think you dispute that, so what the hell are we arguing about here?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re being a bit rhetorical here, Moose.    Who has played games that are a more relevant indicator of possible major league success, Rutschman or Dominguez?   It’s obviously Rutschman.    Would AA be a better indicator than either low/short season A, or Division I college ball?    Of course it would.    But we know a helluva lot more about Rutschman’s performance against pretty good competition than we know about Dominguez’s. I don’t think you dispute that, so what the hell are we arguing about here?

You're right, Frobito, I can't dispute that.  

Then again, college ball and A ball aren't always direct indicators, are they?  You said it yourself, AA would be a better indicator for Adley.  And that's all I'm saying.  You're right, there's slightly more information out there about Adley than there is Dominguez.  I just don't think the information is all that great.  Lots of college players rake and don't make it in the big leagues.  I don't think you dispute that, either.