The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sisco looks... kinda toast? Just a nothing spring from him in every way. I hope he can still provide a .750ish OPS.

One thing I"ll say is he always gets his walks.   Even this awful spring, his OBP is 162 points higher than his average.

• Upvote 2

Catchers are supposed to provide more offense than Walks and HPB.  He has been a huge disappointment.  Even if their defense  is 

super, and his is not.  It is a  nobrainer to move on from him.  A blind man could throw darts and come up with some one as good or better. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Catchers are supposed to provide more offense than Walks and HPB.  He has been a huge disappointment.  Even if their defense  is 

super, and his is not.  It is a  nobrainer to move on from him.  A blind man could throw darts and come up with some one as good or better. 

You preach a righteous Gospel, brother, and the truth is in you.

And yet...he continues to abide among us....

( well, it IS Palm Sunday...)

On 3/22/2021 at 9:00 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Except the part that their history of defense in the majors isn't that bad.  It is only to your eyes that the bar is raised so high their offense must be phenomenal to compensate.

Both Sisco and Severino are rated as being above replacement level for their careers.  So the people who judge this sort of a thing for a living, feel their offense has historically compensated for their defense.

Only those who limit their judgment to a single statistical formula.

• Upvote 1

• Yankees release C Robinson Chirinos 
    Yankees released C Robinson Chirinos.

Advice: Chirinos, who was in Yankees' camp on a minor-league deal, recently underwent surgery to repair a fractured right wrist. The 36-year-old backstop should find an opportunity somewhere in the majors during the 2021 campaign.  NBCSportsEDGE.com Yesterday, 1:04 pm

• Indians designate C Beau Taylor for assignment 
    Indians designated C Beau Taylor for assignment.

Advice: Taylor was optioned to the team's alternate training site earlier this week and has now been removed from the 40-man roster. The 31-year-old backstop could remain with the organization as an insurance catcher if he passes through waivers unclaimed.  NBCSportsEDGE.comYesterday, 12:38 pm
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, connja said:
  • Yankees release C Robinson Chirinos 
    Yankees released C Robinson Chirinos.

Advice: Chirinos, who was in Yankees' camp on a minor-league deal, recently underwent surgery to repair a fractured right wrist. The 36-year-old backstop should find an opportunity somewhere in the majors during the 2021 campaign.  NBCSportsEDGE.com Yesterday, 1:04 pm

• Indians designate C Beau Taylor for assignment 
    Indians designated C Beau Taylor for assignment.

Advice: Taylor was optioned to the team's alternate training site earlier this week and has now been removed from the 40-man roster. The 31-year-old backstop could remain with the organization as an insurance catcher if he passes through waivers unclaimed.  NBCSportsEDGE.comYesterday, 12:38 pm

Chirinos has the wrist surgery going on, so he wouldn’t be available for a while longer anyway.

Taylor would be an interesting reclamation project as, like Ciuffo, he was a high prospect but has worked his way down.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Only those who limit their judgment to a single statistical formula.

Sisco has a career -.1 fWAR

Severino has a career .06 fWAR, and both seasons with the Orioles, he was negative on both offense and defense. His WRC isn’t much below average but no, it doesn’t compensate for his defense.

They are here because the Powers prefer them to the immediately available alternatives, and I think that is a poor choice. But oh well. They are here till they aren’t, and no one will mourn their departure.

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sisco has a career -.1 fWAR

Severino has a career .06 fWAR, and both seasons with the Orioles, he was negative on both offense and defense. His WRC isn’t much below average but no, it doesn’t compensate for his defense.

They are here because the Powers prefer them to the immediately available alternatives, and I think that is a poor choice. But oh well. They are here till they aren’t, and no one will mourn their departure.

Using bbref's dWAR, Sisco is at -0.4 career, -0.3 in 2020. That's pretty bad and he seems worse than that. Meanwhile Severino is at 1.1 career and 0.4 last season! That's even harder to believe.

It's not that I think either flavor of dWAR is useless, but I do not think either one should be used as the sole, indisputable measurement of players' skills. And I don't believe that any GMs limit their player evaluations to any single statistic or formula.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Using bbref's dWAR, Sisco is at -0.4 career, -0.3 in 2020. That's pretty bad and he seems worse than that. Meanwhile Severino is at 1.1 career and 0.4 last season! That's even harder to believe.

It's not that I think either flavor of dWAR is useless, but I do not think either one should be used as the sole, indisputable measurement of players' skills. And I don't believe that any GMs limit their player evaluations to any single statistic or formula.

I think you and I are in agreement.