Rotation announced

interloper

I like how the helmet 360's then twists.

The fun of him is half that, and half that I'd guess he's like the 35th best 2B regular this year whereas we probably don't have anyone in the Top 50.

As with Maikel, I'll be rooting for this to happen until it does or doesn't.   He's only 3 years older than Yusniel Diaz, and also an example of locking up a young cornerstone running bad.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s very weird to not want to see sh** players on my team.  

But why would you not ant to see Lopez pitch well and perhaps create himself into value? I don't think it will happen as a starter but I'm not sure why you would root against him. Any player that is not part of a winning future here that does well presents himself as a potential trade chip.

Do I think the odds are high that it will happen? Nope. Do I think Lopez will make 20_ starts this year. Nope. But I certainly won't root against him.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But why would you not ant to see Lopez pitch well and perhaps create himself into value? I don't think it will happen as a starter but I'm not sure why you would root against him. Any player that is not part of a winning future here that does well presents himself as a potential trade chip.

Do I think the odds are high that it will happen? Nope. Do I think Lopez will make 20_ starts this year. Nope. But I certainly won't root against him.

Let me put it another way...I will be rooting for several players to take his spot.  

That happens for 2 reasons..he isn’t good and others are.  That’s a scenario I prefer.  It’s better for now and it’s especially better For the future.  I am rooting for this team to look like a product worth paying money to go see.  I am looking forward to this team being good again.

That isn’t going to happen while giving opportunities to poor players with no future in that role.

Just as you root for Davis to be off the team or “get hurt”.  You don’t want him taking up a spot for someone else that could be here long term.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Would you rather have seen LeBlanc in the rotation? Because that was definitely a possibility. The line between Lopez and Akin in terms of caliber of pitcher is pretty damn small. We're not talking about aces here - they're two young guys who both profile as back-of-the-rotation arms at best. They're both going to pitch a ton of innings for the O's this year - Lopez is just going to pitch his first. There's literally no difference between Akin starting the season with the team vs him joining later. He'll pitch the same amount of innings either way. In fact, part of the reason for Lopez starting now might be to limit Akin's innings a bit so he can pitch later in the season. 

There's so much more at play other "this guy better than this guy!!11!!" You are not a GM, none of us are

is.... none of us is.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let me put it another way...I will be rooting for several players to take his spot.  

That happens for 2 reasons..he isn’t good and others are.  That’s a scenario I prefer.  It’s better for now and it’s especially better For the future.  I am rooting for this team to look like a product worth paying money to go see.  I am looking forward to this team being good again.

That isn’t going to happen while giving opportunities to poor players with no future in that role.

Just as you root for Davis to be off the team or “get hurt”.  You don’t want him taking up a spot for someone else that could be here long term.

But that's because I know he will never have value because of his contract. Lopez could have value if for some reason he pitches well. Do I think that's likely, no, but in the perfect world Lopez suddenly has a great year, we trade him in July for prospects, bring up Baumann or Lowther to take his place in the rotation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But that's because I know he will never have value because of his contract. Lopez could have value if for some reason he pitches well. Do I think that's likely, no, but in the perfect world Lopez suddenly has a great year, we trade him in July for prospects, bring up Baumann or Lowther to take his place in the rotation.

I don’t see the reason to plan for some crazy scenario.  Lopez in the pen?  Fine.  I agree he could do something out there.

But I don’t want to see him in the rotation and I will root for others to be in it besides him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see the reason to plan for some crazy scenario.  Lopez in the pen?  Fine.  I agree he could do something out there.

But I don’t want to see him in the rotation and I will root for others to be in it besides him.

I think he has value in the pen. Much rather see Baumann against MLB competition 

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

It seems clear to me that Lopez isn't good enough to be a long term starter in a MLB rotation. It remains to be seen whether he could be a useful bullpen piece. Hopefully Akin finds whatever he was missing at the alternate site and we can find out sooner rather than later.

I would actually like to see him used as an opener before some of our non-Means lefties (Zimmerman, Akin, Leblanc).