Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

I think we could absolutely get a haul from a desperate team if Harvey pitches great. They’d probably be upset with themselves that Harvey was available for them to sign and blossomed under our esteemed tutelage but figure the two top 5 prospects they’d be giving up are worth it. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we could absolutely get a haul from a desperate team if Harvey pitches great. They’d probably be upset with themselves that Harvey was available for them to sign and blossomed under our esteemed tutelage but figure the two top 5 prospects they’d be giving up are worth it. 

The sarcasm meter is in the red!

• Haha 2

It couldn't be much clearer that Matt Harvey can't be a successful starter for five-plus innings. I'm guessing part of the reason he keeps starting is to try to develop some trade value, but having him fail repeatedly by asking him to do something he can't do isn't helping his marketability, which has to be around zero, or helping the Orioles.

On the other hand, Harvey confirmed last night that he's an OK, or maybe better than that, three-inning pitcher. It's probably too late to build any value over the next month, but if you want to try, and make him useful in the second half of the season, do what Earl Weaver would have done: Have him do what he has a chance to succeed at, pitching about three innings/50 pitches every few days as needed, rather than keep putting him in a role that he's not now able to perform successfully. Maybe a spot start against a weak-hitting team. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

It couldn't be much clearer that Matt Harvey can't be a successful starter for five-plus innings. I'm guessing part of the reason he keeps starting is to try to develop some trade value, but having him fail repeatedly by asking him to do something he can't do isn't helping his marketability, which has to be around zero, or helping the Orioles.

On the other hand, Harvey confirmed last night that he's an OK, or maybe better than that, three-inning pitcher. It's probably too late to build any value over the next month, but if you want to try, and make him useful in the second half of the season, do what Earl Weaver would have done: Have him do what he has a chance to succeed at, pitching about three innings/50 pitches every few days as needed, rather than keep putting him in a role that he's not now able to perform successfully. Maybe a spot start against a weak-hitting team. 

He'd make a decent opener if teams are still doing that type of things. He's okay 1 time through the order.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m very glad Harvey had a good hame today.   He deserves one.  I was annoyed they didn’t interview him on the postgame show.   In general, we don’t seem to get many interviews of the starting pitcher anymore.  

Harvey did pitch for the Royals (and badly) last year so maybe there was some extra motivation today. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Harvey did pitch for the Royals (and badly) last year so maybe there was some extra motivation today. 

Much more likely is the Royals remember him from last year, and spent all of Saturday night out drinking in anticipation of their big day.

I didn't realize just how badly the O's have played defense behind Harvey. They mentioned on the broadcast it's like the worst defense in the game behind a starting pitcher, something like that? That makes his FIP number, which is like 2+ runs below his ERA, make a lot more sense.

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

I didn't realize just how badly the O's have played defense behind Harvey. They mentioned on the broadcast it's like the worst defense in the game behind a starting pitcher, something like that? That makes his FIP number, which is like 2+ runs below his ERA, make a lot more sense.

I'm under no illusion that yesterday is repeatable.   But if Harvey takes the mound Saturday on Jim Palmer Bobblehead Night against Scherzer and the Nats throwing to Pedro Severino, I'm going to be really pissed off.   Austin Wynns earned a chance to catch Harvey's next start with the job he did behind the plate yesterday.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm under no illusion that yesterday is repeatable.   But if Harvey takes the mound Saturday on Jim Palmer Bobblehead Night against Scherzer and the Nats throwing to Pedro Severino, I'm going to be really pissed off.   Austin Wynns earned a chance to catch Harvey's next start with the job he did behind the plate yesterday.

Agreed see if Harvey and Severino have any chemistry as a battery, and Severino has done nothing to deserve being the primary catcher on this team. 

Chances are Harvey reverts back to being a bad pitcher, but Wynns should be Harvey's personal catcher if there is any continued success. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Did they say what metric they were using?  I see Statcast has his xERA at 5.73, 1.4 runs below actual but 1.1 runs over FIP.   I’d tend to believe the former is a better stat than the latter.