The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think Hyde sucks as a manager

HAHA slow down, killer. 

I think the move to bring in Voth is certainly deserving of the criticism but I pause before declaring that he sucks as a manager. I think in the early going this year he is trying to let guys work (I had a criticism of him taking out T Wells last week for Bautista even tho Felix slammed the door that game) but the guys seem to play FOR Hyder and that’s the most important thing for a manager. 

It’s easy to second guess him for the move tonight. I mean, I resurrected the thread but I don’t think that he sucks. I’d like to see better moves of course but if the guys play for him then I’m also with him. 

but the Voth move tonight sucks. 

I have no issue with pulling GrayRod, but when I heard that Voth and Coulombe were warming up in the bullpen, I said "please God, not Voth" to my car radio.   I'm not ready to give up on Voth yet considering how well he pitched last season for the O's, but clearly he's struggling now and he needs to be confined to low-leverage situations until he fixes things.  

OK, still at work and just checking in on CBS Sportsline BUT.... bringing Voth in with runners on is a freaking recipe for disaster. So Voth allows 3 inherited runs charged to GRod and another 2 run of his own and still gets the opportunity to pitch the next inning ??? NOTE TO HYDER!!!

I can't tell the situation but why, oh why, PH Vavra, he of the 0.100 BA for McCann who you are trying to jump start and was 1 for 2 already??? Is this to justify having 3 catchers on the rooster so they can demote Stowers????? Is Zack freaking Jackson so scary we don't bat our former All Star backup catcher we hope rebounds to career level?

Why on God's green earth is freaking Santander batting 4th??? You think Sig's computer spit that out?????

While I'm at it, why the HELL is Mateo batting 8th with an OPS of .855 behind such OPS luminaries as Henderson (0.582), Vavra (0.282), McCann who got his first hit of the year and was pinch hit for and the aforementioned Sanatander??????? You think a computer comes up with that lineup?????

Only logical answer is Hyde decisions - IMH (but biased) Opinion: Hyde makes the lineup and in game decisions. Even with our BP and SP injuries we are better than this.

Back to work like a good little dwarf.

Hyde's decision to pinch hit Vavra with McKenna was awful. And I'm calling it out even with an O's 5-run lead as I type this, because it's egregious management and we're lucky to be playing the worst team in baseball and get away with it.

The A's didn't have any more lefties in the pen after Moll. So the upside of McKenna, who's been hitting terribly this season, was just the one at bat. Just leave in Vavra. If the game had stayed tied, Vavra would have hit next against a righty and McKenna would have been preserved in case of an injury or ejection.

It's really poor management by Hyde, which seems to be par for the course for him. He's lucky to be managing a team with a lot of good young talent.

17 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hyde's decision to pinch hit Vavra with McKenna was awful. And I'm calling it out even with an O's 5-run lead as I type this, because it's egregious management and we're lucky to be playing the worst team in baseball and get away with it.

The A's didn't have any more lefties in the pen after Moll. So the upside of McKenna, who's been hitting terribly this season, was just the one at bat. Just leave in Vavra. If the game had stayed tied, Vavra would have hit next against a righty and McKenna would have been preserved in case of an injury or ejection.

It's really poor management by Hyde, which seems to be par for the course for him. He's lucky to be managing a team with a lot of good young talent.

I’ll admit that it’s difficult to defend the musical chairs at DH tonight. I suppose that I can understand the matchup thing with Vavra but hitting McKenna for him and then throwing Frazier out there is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I guess you want to get guys into the game for live ABs? Perhaps but that’s a questionable one for me. The Voth more of course sucked. 

Love to see Mounty locked in. Imagine if we were in the heat of the summer with some of these ABs he’s had here at home. He might have eight or nine home runs at this point. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

I’ll admit that it’s difficult to defend the musical chairs at DH tonight. I suppose that I can understand the matchup thing with Vavra but hitting McKenna for him and then throwing Frazier out there is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I guess you want to get guys into the game for live ABs? Perhaps but that’s a questionable one for me. The Voth more of course sucked. 

Love to see Mounty locked in. Imagine if we were in the heat of the summer with some of these ABs he’s had here at home. He might have eight or nine home runs at this point. 

I'm being honest, I wouldn't expect a bad minor league manager to make the moves Hyde did tonight with Voth and McKenna. It's pretty discouraging knowing a guy like Hyde is likely going to be making decisions with major implications in playoff series in the future and that he'll likely kill the team. Hyde is the type of guy to pull a catastrophic Ubaldo-instead-of-Britton move in a big game. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

He started a righty at DH (McCann) vs a lefty, brought in a lefty (Vavra) vs a righty reliever, brought in a righty (McKenna) vs a LH reliever, and brought in a lefty (Frazier) vs a righty reliever.

I get not agreeing with the moves, but I don't see how you can call them a head scratcher and not understand why he did them.   It's kind of obvious.  It's right out of the Earl Weaver play book with guys like Benny Ayala and Jose Morales (RH hitters) vs lefties and Terry Crowley and Jim Dwyer (LH hitters) vs RHPs.

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

He started a righty at DH (McCann) vs a lefty, brought in a lefty (Vavra) vs a righty reliever, brought in a righty (McKenna) vs a LH reliever, and brought in a lefty (Frazier) vs a righty reliever.

I get not agreeing with the moves, but I don't see how you can call them a head scratcher and not understand why he did them.   It's kind of obvious.  It's right out of the Earl Weaver play book with guys like Benny Ayala and Jose Morales (RH hitters) vs lefties and Terry Crowley and Jim Dwyer (LH hitters) vs RHPs.

Fundamentally and strategically I understand why he did it but Mckenna is a (now) career .204 hitter against lefties and just 1 for 6 on the season. I get it. Vavra's numbers against lefties are not great either and worse than McKenna's but Hyder burned his entire bench for the R/L/R/L matching up. I'm not being overly critical of the moves and sure I disagree with them because frankly, I trust Vavra to hit more than McKenna regardless of the arm that the pitcher is using to throw to him. 

In a tight game I think it's questionable to burn the bench when so far this season Hyder has shown that he's willing to allow guys to work through stuff. It just seems contradictory to me to let so and so work (Voth) to see if they can get right but not let another so and so. 

They won the game and that's all that matters but yes, even given the strategy to play the matchups, I think hitting McKenna for Vavra is a head scratcher. 

Why the hell would Hyde bring in Voth in a one run game? Part of the blame rests with Elias for not DFA'ing Voth already, but Hyde continues to make terrible decisions.

Consider me the first official member of the Fire Hyde Club. I'll be raging against him for at least another year until he gets fired.

Edited by Brooks The Great

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Why the hell would Hyde bring in Voth in a one run game? Part of the blame rests with Elias for not DFA'ing Voth alteady, but Hyde continues to make terrible decisions.

Consider me the first official member of the Fire Hyde Club. I'll be raging against him for at least another year until he gets fired.

Who would you like to have seen?  Baumann, Akin, Perez and Gillaspie all pitched yesterday.  We still had 5 innings left to cover.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Why the hell would Hyde bring in Voth in a one run game? Part of the blame rests with Elias for not DFA'ing Voth already, but Hyde continues to make terrible decisions.

I’m wondering if this was a, show me you belong here or you are gone type thing for Voth? 

I do agree it’s odd to bring him in a game in what is a higher leverage situation.