Connolly: P.A. Announcer Ryan Wagner fired on Opening Day

Moshagge3

25 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

"This" being Wagner's firing.

This is the definition of talking out of both sides of one's mouth. 

You aren’t very bright are you?(no need to answer that, your posts answer it for you)

I think Wagner got fired because of his tweets.  

I think a big part of the reason why the team fired him is because they could move onto a woman Pa announcer.  

Had he not tweeted anything, he has a job today.  But because he did, the door was opened to get rid of him and being able to promote a woman allowed them to close the door that much easier.

Btw, the “this” is the entire situation of moving on from him.  There are various layers to that decision.

Keep on trolling though.  I know how important it is for you to do it.

• Downvote 1

Ryan Wagner was fine as a PA announcer. Adrienne Roberson is also fine. It is an easy (though necessary) job, and Wagner seemed likely to cause the team more headaches in the future.

The actual Tweets were benign, his whining about the Ravens was annoying, but no more so than how many other Ravens fan behave on Twitter. That said, it isn't a PA's announcers job to share their opinions and assuming the Orioles gave him proper warning to knock off the Twitter opining, it was a completely reasonable decision to sack him. It seemed like he was angling to be a local sports opiner and that isn't an appropriate role for a public address announcer. If he wanted to share his Ravens/Orioles/Terps takes, he was free to do so anonymously on a secondary account.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Ryan Wagner was fine as a PA announcer. Adrienne Roberson is also fine. It is an easy (though necessary) job, and Wagner seemed likely to cause the team more headaches in the future.

The actual Tweets were benign, his whining about the Ravens was annoying, but no more so than how many other Ravens fan behave on Twitter. That said, it isn't a PA's announcers job to share their opinions and assuming the Orioles gave him proper warning to knock off the Twitter opining, it was a completely reasonable decision to sack him. It seemed like he was angling to be a local sports opiner and that isn't an appropriate role for a public address announcer. If he wanted to share his Ravens/Orioles/Terps takes, he was free to do so anonymously on a secondary account.

I think the key to all of this is the Os told him to stop and he didn’t.

The tweets are nothing and had the Os just fired him out of nowhere, that would have been really messed up.  

But since they did bother them for some reason, even if that reason is dumb, then he should have stopped.  It’s really that simple.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the key to all of this is the Os told him to stop and he didn’t.

The tweets are nothing and had the Os just fired him out of nowhere, that would have been really messed up.  

But since they did bother them for some reason, even if that reason is dumb, then he should have stopped.  It’s really that simple.

Just because it was their right and it is, justify the classless way they handled the situation.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just because it was their right and it is, justify the classless way they handled the situation.

Just my opinion, but it comes off to me that someone in the warehouse had a personal vendetta against Wagner and wanted to humiliate him in addition to letting him go. I have a hard time believing that decision wasn't made until the day of the home opener with Wagner even reporting to work before getting fired. I think someone allowed it to play out this way. 

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Well, I don’t disagree.  It’s going to be very rare, if ever, that you see me on the Os side when it comes to handling things properly, at least while this family still owns the team.

That being said, if they had said stop and he did it all the way up until that point, it was just the nail in the coffin.   The timing is more coincidental.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I don’t disagree.  It’s going to be very rare, if ever, that you see me on the Os side when it comes to handling things properly, at least while this family still owns the team.

That being said, if they had said stop and he did it all the way up until that point, it was just the nail in the coffin.   The timing is more coincidental.  

I was with you, up until the timing.

You know you are going to let somebody go, you bring them in and you handle it in person. I dont care what the guy did or didnt do, it doesn't matter.

How you conduct yourself, should always show class and the correct way.

Its not that they didnt know what they wanted to do, and to wait until the last minute, is not excusable.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just my opinion, but it comes off to me that someone in the warehouse had a personal vendetta against Wagner and wanted to humiliate him in addition to letting him go. I have a hard time believing that decision wasn't made until the day of the home opener with Wagner even reporting to work before getting fired. I think someone allowed it to play out this way. 

I agree, it wasnt a timing thing, and we just decided to pull the plug and switch people.

Im not going to go with the vendetta. either

I just think its the attitude, its our decision, and how we want to do it, is our business.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I was with you, up until the timing.

You know you are going to let somebody go, you bring them in and you handle it in person. I dont care what the guy did or didnt do, it doesn't matter.

How you conduct yourself, should always show class and the correct way.

Its not that they didnt know what they wanted to do, and to wait until the last minute, is not excusable.

But if they weren’t going to let him go before the Yankees series (which was right before OD in Baltimore) and then he “broke their rules” while that series was going on, that’s when they made that decision to move on.  That was the timing I was speaking of.  The timing of him “going against the rules” was right before OD.

Had he not made those tweets, perhaps he has a job today...in fact, he likely does.

Add in the fact that they had a woman ready to go to take the job and his fate got sealed.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But if they weren’t going to let him go before the Yankees series (which was right before OD in Baltimore) and then he “broke their rules” while that series was going on, that’s when they made that decision to move on.  That was the timing I was speaking of.  The timing of him “going against the rules” was right before OD.

Had he not made those tweets, perhaps he has a job today...in fact, he likely does.

Add in the fact that they had a woman ready to go to take the job and his fate got sealed.  

The idea that it mattered that his potential replacement was a woman is pure speculation on your part, right?    Do you have any facts to back that up, or is it just a guess on your part?  Roberson has been doing the Bowie games for 17 years; I wonder if she was considered by the Orioles back when Wagner got the job.

I really couldn't care less who reads the names of the players over the loudspeaker at the ballpark. Catch me caring about the actual team. It's clear the guy did something they didn't like, otherwise they don't cause themselves the headache of canning him before OD. Yeah the guy said JJ Hardy in a fun way, I guess? I don't know if that's enough for anyone to get twisted up about this, especially when no one knows the details. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I dont buy the part about being a woman.

I buy the part, they had an available body down at Bowie, they could offer the job too.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The idea that it mattered that his potential replacement was a woman is pure speculation on your part, right?    Do you have any facts to back that up, or is it just a guess on your part?  Roberson has been doing the Bowie games for 17 years; I wonder if she was considered by the Orioles back when Wagner got the job.

No, that’s just a guess.  I think the Os are very much trending to thE current woke/liberal narrative way of viewing things, so I think that played a part in cutting ties.  

Again, I don’t think they fired him because they had a woman to back him up but I think it was a way they could sell it to people.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really couldn't care less who reads the names of the players over the loudspeaker at the ballpark. Catch me caring about the actual team. It's clear the guy did something they didn't like, otherwise they don't cause themselves the headache of canning him before OD. Yeah the guy said JJ Hardy in a fun way, I guess? I don't know if that's enough for anyone to get twisted up about this, especially when no one knows the details. 

I agree..I made the comment that I don’t think she is very good and I stand by that but it’s not like it decreases me viewing pleasure or hurts my experience in any way at the park.

I was always a Rex Barney guy but it’s not like my experience was worse when he stopped being the PA announcer.