Tankathon

hutchead

I will say this, the biggest disappointments so far have been Akin pitching his way off the team, Kremer trying to pitch his way off the team, Mountcastle and Santander's slow starts and injuries to the fragile twins, Harvey and Hays.

On the bright side Mullins has played very well since going to a left-handed hitter only and Zimmermann has been competent.

I actually thought the top of the order would be decent and they still may, but only Mullins has hit.

The better news is this team will not continue to hit this poorly all season, but I do have to agree that this group is missing that superstar prospect to build around. Mountcastle has the potential to be that impact bat, but he'll need to be moved to first base at some point before he doesn't hurt you defensively, and even there he'll probably be below average.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say this, the biggest disappointments so far have been Akin pitching his way off the team, Kremer trying to pitch his way off the team, Mountcastle and Santander's slow starts and injuries to the fragile twins, Harvey and Hays.

On the bright side Mullins has played very well since going to a left-handed hitter only and Zimmermann has been competent.

I actually thought the top of the order would be decent and they still may, but only Mullins has hit.

The better news is this team will not continue to hit this poorly all season, but I do have to agree that this group is missing that superstar prospect to build around. Mountcastle has the potential to be that impact bat, but he'll need to be moved to first base at some point before he doesn't hurt you defensively, and even there he'll probably be below average.

Just an exercise, let’s say Adley comes up and is Buster Posey like and then in two years Maikol Hernández comes up and is Machado like. This whole conversation starts to be very different. Or let’s say the Os had Wander Franco in their system. Like others have said, once the minors get started and people can start to see what we have then maybe they can get excited about things.  I am personally excited to see these guys and what they can do. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hopefully by summer the lack of superstar prospect will change. I still believe in Mountcastle but obviously want to see him play better. 

I had modest hopes for Kremer. It’s never going to work for him unless his command gets better, not complicated. 

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Just an exercise, let’s say Adley comes up and is Buster Posey like and then in two years Maikol Hernández comes up and is Machado like. This whole conversation starts to be very different. Or let’s say the Os had Wander Franco in their system. Like others have said, once the minors get started and people can start to see what we have then maybe they can get excited about things.  I am personally excited to see these guys and what they can do. 

Clearly he is trying to build the position player base. The MLB W-L record will always come down to pitching. Until the pitching is dramatically improved even with a better lineup the record will continue to drag. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep I have been very negative on this pick from the moment it was made. Time will tell

Depends on the standard being applied. In any year, is the #1 overall pick likely to be better than each of the 1200 or so picked after him? If I’m waging money, that’s an easy choice. AR is as safe a bet as any in that draft class to have a very good ML career at a prime position. I’ll take that. Generally speaking, I’m not big on using a #1 overall on a pitcher or catcher. But I’m not worried about AR being a good pick (yet). 

One thing I have hope for is the pen down the road. All of these starters should lead to some solid pen arms. Look at Britton, Hunter, Jim Johnson etc. 

Rotation comes down to GRod, Hall, Means and if they are lucky they hit on one more. Elias will need to find a Morton type to fill out the rotation at some point. 

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree, but you can't be disappointed in Akin if you had no hopes for him to begin with.  Same with Harvey and Hays...you can't really get mad at water for being wet.

Mountcastle has been the biggest disappointment, I agree.  But it looks like he's shown some signs of coming around.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Its just crazy that Mountcastle did not play some 1B in ST.

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Yes... you have. 

That said Kjerstad is another story. I don’t know how anyone can’t be concerned about him. 

Kjerstad's condition is troubling but it sounds like very treatable. He hasn't played a single professional game yet so I think concerned is way too harsh a word.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's just crazy that folks think a couple spring training starts at 1B would make any difference.

If he had 10 innings at first base this spring would you feel more at ease?  20?

I agree with you, but that exactly the reason they gave for playing Ruiz at 2B the last week of ST. "Just to get him some reps."

I agree because I don't want RMC getting "practice reps" at 1B, I want him getting as many reps in LF as possible. He fits better there.